Chapter Two

"Wake up sleeping beauty." Dylan's voice broke through the veil separating dreams from reality.

Leanna sat up with a groan. She blinked away the sunlight that was filtering through the blinds. Steam was twirling in the bathroom light. Turning her gaze back to Dylan, she noticed his hair was damp. He'd just taken a shower.

"We're heading back to your house to pick up some of your junk. Five minutes. That's all you have to go in, get some clothes, and get out."

"Why did you even come to my house?" she asked, hoping to get an answer this time.

Instead he pretended not to hear her. The muscles in his arms moved underneath the skin as he pulled on army issue boots. She could feel her face twist into a grimace. Every little new detail she learned about him became more confusing.

After the shoelaces were secured, Dylan turned to look at her. "Well, what are waiting for? Let's get a move on."

Coming to the conclusion she wasn't getting answers any time soon, Leanna stood up from the bed. The gun was no longer on the bedside table, now resting at Dylan's hip. He didn't wait for her to fix her clothes before pushing her through the doorway. No people were hanging around in the parking lot this morning. A puddle of blood was still in the middle of the parking lot, the dark red colour making her sick.

Remembering it had been over a day since she'd eaten, Leanna turned to look at Dylan. He was walking in a straight posture, a look of disinterest plastered on his face. Clearing her throat to get his attention, she waved a hand in front of his face.

"Can you not do that?" said Dylan, finally looking down. "It's annoying."

"I'm hungry. You haven't given me any food this entire time."

Groaning, he walked back to the trunk. Knowing what was about to happen, Leanna planted her feet at the passenger side. There was no way she was going back in that death trap. Coming to the realization she wasn't beside him, Dylan walked back towards her.

"Get in the trunk."

"No."

The two of them exchanged more death glares before his shoulders dropped in defeat. Barely containing the smirk that was threatening to break through, she slid into the passenger seat.

Dylan walked around the back, dropping into the driver's seat. The entire vehicle sank for a moment under his weight. As soon as the key was turned in the ignition, eighties music blared through the speakers. Even though she was still in a dangerous situation, Leanna felt her shoulders beginning to move in an attempt to dance.

Silence took over the car after Dylan reached forwards to shut off the radio. Scowling, she turned to look at him.

"How dare you disrupt my jam session. I love that song!"

He gave her a look of disbelief while pulling out of the parking space. "Are you kidding me? Do you not realize that I could kill you?"

"Didn't seem like that was your intentions last night," she shot back.

Blood rushed to his neck and cheeks. Good. It was payback for the suggestive comments he'd made the previous day. If this was her soulmate, she would taunt him as much as possible. Conversation ceased as they drove down the highway back towards the city. Before she knew it, the sign for the neighbourhood appeared in the distance. Some neighbours even waved as she passed by. They had no clue what was happening.