Chapter Five

Some hours later, Leanna awoke to a body pressed against her back. Dylan's breath was hot on her neck as she came out of a state of drowsiness. Seconds later, she realized his arms were wrapped tightly around her. Shifting to look behind her, the springs in the bed groaned under their weight.

The sky outside had turned dark, hollers of the other guests filling the night. It had been just past noon when they returned to the motel. How long was she asleep for?

Looking back at Dylan's face, a whole new sensation traveled through her body when she saw the stubble lining his jaw. While she still felt anger towards him, something about watching the sleeping young man sent another wave of indescribable feelings through her. In this moment, she wanted nothing more than to lean forwards and press her lips to his, if only just for a moment.

Dylan took a sudden sharp intake of breath, and Leanna jolted into full alert. It became clear after a moment, however, that he was still fast asleep. Drawing her bottom lip between her teeth, Leanna inched her arms free from Dylan's grip. Running her hands through his dark hair was just as amazing as she'd imagined it'd be.

"As fantastic as that feels, I think you doing stuff to me while I'm sleeping is creepy."

All the warmth in the room seemed to leave when Dylan opened his eyes. Leanna's eyes widened, and she began to pull away. Dylan's grip on her did not ease, and she found herself trapped against his warm body.

"Let me go," she said, struggling against the cage his arms made.

He hummed, sending vibrations through both their bodies. "I'm not too sure I want to."

Leanna continued to struggle against his embrace, desperate to escape the heat building up between the two of them. Being together in public in such close proximity was one thing, but being alone meant something completely different.

After a few moments of struggling, Leanna accepted that the chances of getting freed from Dylan's grip were slim. She stopped moving, letting out a huff of frustration. Her eyes met his and that same feeling from before ran from her head right down to her toes. Dylan stared into her eyes, his pupils enlarged from either the dark room, an attraction towards her, or both.

He began to lean forwards, a feeling of desire in his eyes. Before their lips could meet, Leanna turned her face away from him.

"I thought you said you had a girlfriend," she said. "What would she say about this?"

Taking another deep breath, both of them remained silent a moment. "I used to. I haven't had a girlfriend for almost three years," he finally admitted.

Leanna turned back to look at him. "Why would you lie about that?" she asked, nose scrunching up in annoyance.

"I tried to make up an excuse not to get close to you," he said. "But despite my efforts, I want you more than I've ever wanted anything—or anyone—else."

Trying to swallow the lump in her throat, Leanna forced herself to look Dylan in the eyes. His arms were still wrapped around her, but she felt no need to pull away anymore. This time when Dylan moved forwards, she made no attempt to avoid him.

A loud bang from the room next door made both of them jump. Having the moment ruined, his hold on her loosened. Leanna took the opportunity to pull away from Dylan, sitting on the corner of the bed trying to catch her breath. They had almost kissed. Even worse, she wanted him to kiss her.