Epilogue

Three Years Later

"I don't think I've ever seen the place so busy."

Leanna laughed, turning around and leaning against the counter. "Only took two years of me working here before it happened. Turns out, you were wrong. I didn't bring in more customers."

"You most definitely did." Herman grinned, looking out at the people wandering through the aisles. "The last time we had these many people in here at once, I still had all my teeth."

Another laugh tumbled out of her. Leanna shook her head, turning to help the couple that had just walked up to the counter.

"Is there anything else I can get you two?"

They looked at each other a moment before shaking their heads.

Leanna smiled, bagging the items. "Okay, well, you two have a great day!" She turned back to Herman once they left the store. "Why is it always the hottest this time of year? I feel like I'm melting."

"Melting? In August? Gee, I wonder why."

She gave him a light slap on the arm, organizing the small items placed on the front counter. Herman stepped out from behind it, walking back to the staff door, which also happened to lead to his upstairs room.

"I'll be back later, okay? Got some business to attend to."

"I've got it, don't worry."

He chuckled, pushing the door open and disappearing.

The bell chimed as someone entered the store. Leanna looked up, prepared to call out a greeting, and froze.

Countless days had passed since she last saw that face. Over two years, if she were to be exact. The last time she remembered touching him, police were hauling him away. It had been three years and three months since she met with him in person. Leanna never took the time to find out what became of his since then.

He didn't seem to notice her, walking to the back of the store, toward the drink coolers. Remnants of a memory started to take over. Leanna let herself be consumed by it.

One month after Dylan's arrest, she decided to visit the prison he was being held in against her mother's wishes. The small building didn't allow them to sit at a table with another. A thin sheet of glass separated them, and Leanna could see how tired Dylan had been.

When he sat down across from her, Dylan had refused to look her in the eye. He'd been angry. He called her stupid, screamed unimaginable words at her, going against everything he'd ever said to her before. Leanna knew it was from being locked away. The words still stung.

Leanna had tried to calm him, tried to say the words she never got the chance to say before, but Dylan got up and left her alone. He told the guards the visit was over.

Afterwards, Leanna had cried herself to sleep.

More voices filled the store, ripping Leanna from her thoughts. She watched a beautiful brunette enter the store, head straight to the back. Dread started to settle in her stomach. Of course, no one would wait three years for a miracle like this. No one except her.

The eyes she missed staring into met the girl's, and looked away, uninterested.

Every kiss, every touch, raced through her mind. Leanna closed her eyes, feeling stupid for believing Dylan would care about her after all this time. He probably wouldn't even recognize her when he came to the front of the store.