Chapter Thirty

Three weeks had passed since the events in Washington. Everyone involved in the whole spectacle had been hauled back to Montana, and Leanna hadn't been allowed to see Dylan the entire time.

The broken arm had been placed in a sling, and the hospital forced Leanna to sit in a wheelchair whenever she had to go in public. Walking with crutched was impossible when she had both a broken arm and leg. It embarrassed her each time she needed to go somewhere.

Isla Bruckner refused to speak to Friedrich. Leanna's suspicions had been confirmed after they were rescued. Her parents wanted to get a divorce, months before the embezzling had even happened.

It turned out her father had embezzled well over a hundred thousand dollars, providing plenty evidence he would be locked away with everyone involved in his abduction and torture. His trial had already been solved. Friedrich Bruckner would spend eight years behind bars, as well as pay a fine of fifty thousand dollars. That had been Leanna's mother's breaking point. She'd filed for divorce before the case had even been settled.

Today would be Dylan's trial. He was being charged of second degree kidnapping. Nobody could prove whether the kidnapping had been aggravated, and Leanna refused to comment on it outside the trial. The court wanted Leanna to testify against him.

Since the crimes had originally taken place in Montana, that's where Dylan would be forced to pay for his crimes. In the best-case scenario, he would be forced to serve a minimum two-year sentence. Worst case...Leanna preferred not to think about it.

Wiping away the few tears that managed to escape, Leanna stared at herself in the mirror. Everyone would be able to tell she hadn't had a proper sleep during the past three weeks. Dark bags were under her eyes, the scratches from Morgan not quite fully healed on her right cheek. She turned away and limped toward the wheelchair.

Leanna couldn't remember how Morgan had broken her bones. She refused to watch, which made it hard to explain to anyone what had happened. Morgan was also in the middle of being tried. A bargain had been struck. If Morgan cooperated with the law and told them the whereabouts of the rest of her operation, she would have her sentence reduced to twenty years.

"Anna! We need to be at the courthouse by one." Isla Bruckner appeared in the doorway, the trauma from her kidnapping still visible.

A gray streak ran through her auburn hair, some of the bruises still peeking through her clothing. She'd lost any amusement in her eyes, and now looked haunted. Her eyes were always shining, filled with unshed tears. Leanna hated seeing her mother this way.

Leanna winced as she took a seat in the wheelchair, the cast on her leg getting in the way of everything she tried to do. "Mom, what am I supposed to say? I don't want Dylan to go to jail. I don't want him to be punished for saving me."

Her mother took a deep breath, twisting the ring on her finger. She still wore her wedding band. Isla knelt beside Leanna, her mouth curved down in a frown. "How many times must be go through this, Leanna? That man kidnapped you. He manipulated you, made you believe that it was romantic! He needs to be locked away and the key should be thrown away."

"You're wrong. Dylan kept me safe for over three weeks. If not for him, I'd be dead. Or—or I would've been stuck with you and Dad! He's my soulmate, I don't—"

"Stop that right now, Leanna Marie Alexandra Bruckner. He's a criminal. What you went through? It's a mental illness. We'll help you get over it, don't worry." Isla stood up, brushing imaginary dust off her dress. "A doctor will help you to get over him."