Chapter Twenty-Eight

Dylan found himself stuck in Nevada on the second day. The bus came to a stop, leaving its passengers stranded in Las Vegas. Another half day spent trying to find a car, and Dylan wanted to smash something. He managed to get himself a vehicle, speeding off in it seconds after renting it.

The dread settling over him refused to leave. He sensed something happening on the third day. It was as if he could feel Leanna, know something was happening to her. He nearly went off the road from it.

Horns blared behind him. Dylan snapped back into himself, noticing the green light. He stepped on the gas, hoping he was almost in Washington. Oregon passed by in a blur, with him not once taking a moment to stop. Leanna needed him. He just knew it.

Police sirens started to squeal in the distance. With a start, he realized they were following behind him. The car swerved to the side of the road. Heart pounding, Dylan glanced in his rear-view mirror to the approaching police officer.

"Are you aware of how fast you were going, sir?" The officer had a raspy voice from years of smoking. He reeked of cigarettes.

Dylan shifted in his seat. "I'm sorry, officer. I've just got somewhere to be. It's important, you see. My girlfriend—"

"I'm sure your girlfriend would rather you arrive later than not at all. Or in a casket. Are you trying to get yourself killed?"

No, but someone else might die if you don't let me go. "My apologies. I won't do it again."

"Not so fast, mister. I need to see some ID. And your driver's license. What are you doing driving like this in a rental car?"

Dylan fumbled for his license, shoving it in the man's face. He tapped his fingers on the steering wheel. "It's our anniversary. She'll kill me if I don't make it in time."

"How long have you two been together?" The officer studied him.

"Two years," said Dylan, praying the man would hurry. "She can drive me crazy sometimes, but I love her to death."

"What's her name?"

"Pardon?" Dylan hadn't been paying attention. All he could think about was getting to Leanna in time. He had to make sure nothing bad happened to her. "Oh, sorry. It's Lee—Leanna."

"Well, I suppose I'll let this one go. Seeing as you're trying to reach your lady and all. You two, er, you know?"

"Soulmates?" Dylan was so tired of being asked that. "Yes."

The officer nodded, hitting the roof of the car with his hand. "It's rare to see such young couples together who are soulmates. You two must be high school sweethearts, huh?"

Dylan shook his head. "Actually, no. But I should get going. Don't want to upset her."

"Drive careful. I have a hard time believing the next guy will be as understanding."

"Will do." And with that, Dylan pulled away, continuing down the road.

It seemed luck had decided to screw him over. He hit every red light, yelling in the car at how long it took. If he didn't get to Leanna in time... No, he couldn't afford to think like that.

Morgan might like to hear herself talk, but she'd never do any real harm to a person. The only time Dylan ever witnessed her being violent was when she left the scars on his face. She wouldn't do anything to Leanna, not if she wanted to get him back. He knew this was all his fault, that the whole reason why Morgan wanted to hurt her was because he cared about her.