Chapter Twenty-Nine

"And our precious little Lee thought you wouldn't come."

Dylan tensed at the sound of Morgan's voice. He slowly turned to face her, the fatal rage already beginning to rise inside.

"Where is she?"

Morgan feigned confusion. "Where is who?"

"Leanna. What have you done to her?"

"That's hardly the welcome I expected. No 'I missed you'? Or, how about, 'Thank you for not killing my soulmate, Morgan'? Oh, wait, maybe that last one isn't so true."

Dylan lunged for her. Morgan laughed, taking a step back, her heels clacking on the concrete.

"That's not what I would consider a proper greeting."

His eyes searched for other people, anyone who might be lurking in the shadows. The chances of Morgan being here alone were unlikely. She would never risk being by herself around Dylan, not when she knew how much he despised her.

"You can stop looking for people. There's no one else around here, except for Tom and Clemens. But they're both sleeping. I must say, I thought you'd get here faster. The extra day you gave me with Leanna was wonderful. So, thank you for that. At least I got to have some fun too."

The words got lost in the whirlwind of emotions passing through him. Dylan couldn't focus on what Morgan said, knowing that Leanna was in this very building somewhere. He needed to find her. That was all that mattered. Anything that came after that didn't matter, as long as he knew that Lee was safe. That she wasn't hurt.

Four days without proper sleeping. Four days of missing her. Four days.

Dylan needed to see her. He needed to apologize for all the horrible things he'd done since the start, for ever making Leanna feel like he didn't care about her. It didn't matter if this didn't have a happy ending for him. What he wanted was for Leanna to be okay. For her to survive.

"I won't ask again, Morgan. Where is she? If you hurt her, I swear to—"

Morgan clicked her tongue, cutting off his words. "There's no hurry, babe."

"Don't call me that."

She ignored him, continuing to speak. "You know, I never did understand what the big deal with her was. Sure, she's pretty enough. But she's got a mouth on her. Gives this look that could make a grown man cry. She's nothing like the other one was. It took a lot to get her to break, to get her to scream."

Dylan started to walk toward her again.

"Uh, uh, uh. Stop right there." He hated that he listened. "That Farida girl was gentle, the kind of girl you would expect to live a happy life. But this one? She's rather rude."

What did you do, Leanna? It was impossible to think of what words she might use against Morgan. They could range from a mild insult to asking for death. Dylan knew firsthand that Leanna didn't think before she spoke at times, saying the first thing to pop in her head. If she spoke her mind to Morgan, it wouldn't end well. He hoped she'd been smarter than that for once.

"Morgan." He could hear the way his voice shook. "Please, tell me you didn't do anything to her. Tell me she's okay."

She continued to ignore him. "Your Leanna knows how to say things that get under my skin. Filthy words can leave that mouth, did you know that? You should've heard the things she called me. What she said you would do to me when you got here. That you'd kill me." The laugh that came from her was unlike anything Dylan had ever heard before.