Chapter 11: Headphones

She has the warmest smile I have seen in a while. The smile holds no judgement, well that's because she hasn't meet me yet. It fills me with a joy I haven't felt in a while.

"Oh, sorry Jayden! I just don't know anyone, but while walking I met Jenna! She is such a lovely woman!" The woman proclaims. She then noticed me, "Hi Juliette! I didn't know what you lived so close by until your mother started telling me about you. I never introduced myself, but I'm Rebecca, Jayden and Abby's mom. Abby absolutely loves you, you do such an amazing job," she says warmly.

While Rebecca looks at me with warmth and comfort, Jayden stares down his mother with knives. But I don't blame him, if my own mother did this to me, I'd be covered in flames, literally.

"Mom, how about we go home? It is getting late and we don't want to leave Abby alone for so long," Jayden says, hoping to convince his mom to leave.

"Oh yes! We've got to go! Bye Jenna," she says, waving as her son pulled her away.

"I'll pick you up tomorrow!" Jayden shouts from the front door. I do a double-take.

He is taking me to school tomorrow. 

But before I can yell at him, he has left with his mother in his car.

That just reminds me the fact that I have to go back to school. I groan, grab a snack, and head off to bed, very early. My dreams waver from a man in a white mask to pools of tropical sea water.

I wake up from a too short slumber and my dead hand reaches to turn off my alarm. The sudden sound shocks me and I sit straight up. I guess it is going to be a good morning. I was feeling rather refreshed and awake. I got out and made my bed immediately. As I was going to open my closet, I heard knocking at my front door. I could hear it so well since my windows faced the front door. I peak out the shade and see a familiar figure below. 

I pull up the shade and the window open. The cold air refreshed my warm skin.. "What the hell are you doing here!" I yell down, in a nasty tone.

"Come down and let me in! I'm here to give you a ride to school," Jayden say in the calmest tone, yet also yelling up

"I have a car that I can drive," I say. "What time did you wake up this morning?" I thought that wake up early at 6:00 in the morning. He must have woken up at around five to get ready and down here.

"I said I was going to drive you to school yesterday! Come on, it's cold out here. Let me inside." he says, his voice not showing any type of drowsiness.  He avoided my question thought. My mouth is wide open and it looks like it won't be closing anytime soon.

"What the actual- ugh!" I didn't bother finishing my sentence. I closed the window and stop down the stairs, grumbling the whole time. I unlock the front door and push the screen open. He steps inside, but his eyes avert to my lower body. 

Then I realize...

Why are my legs so cold?

I have no pants on.

I must have taken them off in the night when I was hot. Jayden looks up back up to my face. I swear to God, I could see his cheeks lighten slightly He let out a strangled cough, and rubs the back of his neck, no longer looking me in the eyes. "Um, Juliette, I think something is missing."

I nervously laugh, trying to pull the large top further down my legs. Luckily, it was still dark. I instruct him next, demanding, "Jayden prepare my breakfast. It is a white bowl with leftovers in my fridge." Then I walk away, back to my room.

I actually get dressed for the day, deciding to wear some warm weather clothes. I slip on a jean skirt, a maroon short-sleeved shirt that reaches just a little below the waist, and my white high-top converse. By the time I get downstairs I smell my breakfast and I am in a better mood.

At the kitchen table is a white bowl with a spoon and fork beside it, inside is the real magic. It is a curry-spiced ground chicken, scrambled egg, and onions over white rice. Homemade by my dad the night before just for me.

Jayden was looking at me with a weirdly joyful face. 

"What," I say, very annoyed.

"You are wearing maroon. You said yesterday that it was your favorite color to wear" he says gleefully.

"Nice remembering" I say, pretty impressed that he remembered that little fact.  I ignore him for the rest of my breakfast, focused on eat rather than entertaining my guest. I place my bowl in the sink, so I could go upstairs and brush my teeth. I instruct once again that he stays downstairs. 

I come back down the stairs with my hair in its usual ponytail and a fresh minty breath. 

"Lets go to school," Jayden says, pulling his keys from his pockets.

The ride to school was quiet, but I am getting use to his presences. Talking to him yesterday was a great way for me to relax around him. I don't feel too nervous, like I am to every person close to my age. We will never be friends but I am enjoying this friendliness for now.

At school, Jayden pulls into the closest spot and we climb out at the same time. I feel the stares on my body and I hear the whispers.

"What is she doing with him?"

"Are they dating?"

"Who is she, is she new?"

The last one hurt. I have been in this town my whole life and nobody knows me. I guess my plan succeeded. I don't bother looking back and say thank you. I just run to my best friend.

She is chatting with our other friend, but once she catches sight of me she stops talking and waves to me. Today she is sporting a navy blue sweater dress with a skater skirt bottom paired with a gray scarf and riding boots. 

"How are you feeling today, Julie?" She questions, worried about me.

"Still not the best, but I had to come to school," I say, wishing that I was still home.

"Well lets go to school!" Brianna says with very fake excitement.

•••

Yes! I'm not dead!

I was just taking a break from writing. But I'm back! I hoped you like this filler chapter. And I just renamed all the chapters. It's nothing to be taken seriously, it is just things that were mentioned, like, once. It's just something to make you smile!

So please vote and comment if you like it! And I have a idea.

So this book will be the first book in a trilogy. This one she's in high school, the next one she's in college, and the last one: ;)

So please tell me that you like it and then go follow me!

Love, Maddie