Chapter 23: Insomnia

Waking up from a long sleep has alway been painful for me. My head hurts, my back aches, and some how my allergies start acting up. I don't quite know where I am, and I am not in the mood to open my eyes just yet. Hell, I'm not even fully awake yet, things are still fuzzy. This means that my brain can not process a simple conversation.

"--going to ask her out!," a female voice whisper shouts.

"Keep your voice down and don't say anything to her! I don't think I can do it again," A male voice whisper shouts back.

Like I said, I hear the voices but they didn't make any sense to me. I decided to fall back asleep and ignore the conversation.

When I wake up the second time, I am brave enough to open my eyes and see that I am back in my room, and the sun is setting. Then it hit me...I missed a whole day of school!

I am relatively happy that I got to sleep the whole day, but upset that I will have to make up all of the work. I sit on my phone for a little bit checking my messages.

Dad: The school called me and told me what happened. I hope you are ok, mom says she loves you

Lizzie: You are still asleep, but text me when you wake up.

My friend Lizzie is starting to feel like a surrogate friend for Brianna. She certainly has been taking my mind off of losing my best friend. She must have seen me in the nurses office and decided to help Jayden. With that text, she sent me a bunch of me ugly sleeping. The first one must have been straight when after I fainted, in Jayden's arms. I start feeling a little sweaty and I kick off the sheets. The second is me in the nurses office with the school nurse checking my pulse. The third is me in the car, and the last is me in bed.

I roll my eyes

Jayden: Hey, texting me when you wake up so I can make sure you are still alive.

I was just waiting for a Prince to kiss me awake

Oh my God, did I just flirt first? It wasn't even subtly flirting, it was basically asking him to kiss me. I take a deep breath and watch the little dots go.

Well, I wasn't there. So who kissed you?

I guess Lizzie...it was a pretty good kiss

He sends me back the laughing/ crying emoji. The three little dots reappear, before disappearing, and then they come back.

How are you? You literally fell for me

I'm okay, this happens sometimes. I fall into a really REALLY deep sleep. Also with the funeral this past week, I have been struggling with some insomnia

I wonder what he was actually going to say. I am probably overthinking this whole thing. I need to calm down before I stay up for all night for another four nights.

Yeah, insomnia really sucks. Ever since I've moved here, I have gotten at most thirty hours a week. Must be the change and stress

I bet you didn't tell anyone else that you are awake yet...you better tell people. They are worried about you. 

I sigh out loud and say"But I only care about you". I slapped my hand over my mouth. I can't believe I am thinking like this!

I open Lizzie's message and text her back a simple "I am awake." It was really kind of her to stay with me in my house. I actually hung out with her outside of school with Brianna. We had a pretty solid friendship, it just couldn't compete with Bri's and mine. She also didn't have the best home life, so she must have been pretty excited to get away for a night. 

She doesn't respond because the second the text sent I hear loud footstep run upstairs. She bust opens the door.

"Oh thank god!" She sigh, coming to the edge of the bed. "I was so worried about you. Everyone said you were fine. The nurse, even your dad."

"I haven't been sleeping good since my Nonnie passed. I think it just caught up with me," I shrug my shoulders. 

"That can't be good. I hope you can sleep better now. You deserve a good night sleep," She told me. "Are you good? I can stay a little bit longer, but I should catch up on the work I missed." She had a guilty look on her face. 

"Oh, I think I'm good now. Thanks again," I tell her, getting out of my bed to hug her goodbye. 

"Of course," then she left. 

I use the bathroom and go back to my bed. I have to run what happened this weekend through my brain to make sense of everything. 

My concluding theory is that what every 'mystical' energy runs my powers was able to reroute to keeping me awake during a stressful times, which opens up the possibility that my powers are run my internal mechanisms, maybe like emotions. It works with what happens on my period, that my body temperature increases to almost dangerous levels. 

That is enough thinking for the day. My stomach rumbles and I can smell the body order coming from my armpits. I change into a fresh pair of clothes and decided to order deliver to my house. While I wait for my dinner to come,  I email all of my teachers. I believe that they knew the basics but I need to figure out what I missed.

I finally text my father back. He is happy that I am awake, that is all.

I eat my take-out in peace and read the responses from my teachers telling me not to worry about missed classwork/homework and just to get the notes from my classmates. Lucky me!

I sit at my computer, pretty bored. It is too early to lay in bed and I have nothing left to do on my computer or watch on youtube. I turn away from my desk and look at the blank space in front of me. I closed my eyes, let out a big breath, and when I open my eyes, Nonna's box is in front of me. Great, now my subconscious is sending me messages. This type of thing should shock me, but at this point, nothing can shock me.

I close my eyes, and will the box away. I follow my subconscious and type into google

How to investigate something

***

hey my lovely readers! Sorry another short chapter, but when I feel a natural cut-off I take it.

Also I thought I should get another chapter out before my senior year starts, which will be Monday. That means I won't post for like another five months and I am so sorry!

Question: Should I post short recaps at the beginning of each chapter because I post so infrequent things can be forgotten and I don't want anyone being like "Who is Matthew"

PS it is her brother who is in college

Also (I don't know if I said this in the last post but) I summited this story into the Watty's 2019! Whoop whoop. So good luck to me and other authors out there.

Lastly, THANK YOU FOR 22.7K READS! I never thought I would get to the point where I had 100 reads, but it keeps growing even more every months. I am so lucky for amazing readers because I haven't gotten one nasty comment yet (Don't go posting nasty things now, so I will ban you from my book)

Now, vote, reread and comment, and share, or whatever.

Love yourself!

Love, Maddie

As usual, not edited point out my mistakes