Chapter 18-Flame

The reason I know this is because I had powers, just like you.

Well, not just like you, but I did have some sort of powers. I could see into the future. Yes, I pre-saw everything from entering World War II to every President that got elected. I even saw the death of my husband and myself. However, for the most part, I controlled what I saw. I had to think of what I wanted to see. I wanted to see when I would die so I could control what happened before it. I wanted to see when my husband would die so I could cherish every moment before he passed away. The only visions I could not control were my very first ones of World War II and the visions of you. 

It was the day before your birth and I saw year after year of your discovering new powers. Then you, fight other dangerous men and women. This is your destiny. This is also your secret. I know you will want to tell someone, but there will always be people hunting us, wanting to use us. 

I have only told one person, someone I thought was my best friend. Turn out she was an American spy sent to look after the family once my husband finally came over from Italy. He was party of a socialist movement as a teen that he was forced to join. The men in Washington had a field day. They sent someone to kidnap me an take me to a secret location.

The things they did to me was horrible...no, horrible doesn't even describe what I went through. It was pure torture. I will not describe what occurred, but if you can image what happened, then it did. 

I was sent back after a week, when they found little and came up with a new project, MK Ultra. They told my husband that I went home to Italy for a week due to a family emergency. I then stayed in the shadows, never revealing myself to anyone, praying that they would never find me. 

As my dying wish, I want you to find these government workers and send them straight to hell. 

Love you my great-granddaughter, Nonnie

P.S. Burn this note when you are finished and don't share with anyone our secret. 

*** 

I am speechless. My jaw has dropped and I swear a fly almost flew into my mouth. I reread the letter another three times to make sure I read right...and I did. I couldn't believe it. I wasn't the only one who possessed unexplainable super powers. 

My body, on auto-pilot, rips open the white tissue paper that was under the note. It was a piece of clothing. I take it out from the box. It was a suit...like the ones super heroes wear. 

It was a maroon unitard, meaning the bottom half were like bike shorts. Around the waist portion was a shimmering gold belt. Starting from the belt was a skirt-which reached the same length as the shorts. It has a delicate maroon and gold pattern, that was more feminine than the bike shorts. Lastly, there was a circle across the chest, branding a symbol...my symbol. It was the same gold as the belt and it was a flame, for my fire-wielding powers. 

I see that there is one more item in the box: a mask. It was maroon and would only surround my eyes. The inside is lined with a plastic that would prevent it from slipping off and a band would wrap behind my head. 

I am in awe. I have a strong belief that my great grandmother made this by hand due to the slightly uneven stitching that made the outfit seem more authentic. I remember my father telling me that she was once a talented tailor and that is how she produced an income. What shocks me the most is that it is the same outfit I subconsciously picture myself in yesterday in my fantasy.  

The reality of everything just slapped me in the face. My great-grandmother had powers, that means I am not alone. But does that mean it is a genetic trait that is passed on from family member to family member? Or is a product of our physical environment? The government also tortured her; they must know who I am (I am not very good at keeping it a secret). Do I embraced my destiny and my new suit and give them hell? Do I go deeper into hiding fearing that I will be taken as well? My powers are more physical than my Nonnie's. She could have said anything about the future, but there was no way to see if it was true or not. I just summon the energy and think about my actions. It is like walking, a subconscious thought. 

I feel like I have a purpose to put a mask on. When I was talking with Bri, superhero-ing was just a fun after school activity, something that all people with powers did. 

Sitting here at my desk made me realize how stupid the superhero movie franchise portrays powerful men and women, like my grandmother and I. There isn't just a good side and a bad side. Our life is just a colorless mess of gray. The government workers say themselves as good by studying a possible harmful, possible useful young women. I see them as heartless bastards that harm others for their own personal gain. Also, we don't like to make ourselves known, even as masked. I personally prefer to stay in the shadows hoping to never be discovered, and my great grandmother was the same. And I bet, if there are more, they are the same because there is no news about unexplained powers being discovered. 

While deep in thought, I didn't realize that my emotions were getting the best of me. I was feeling a mix of anger, confusion, and sadness all rolled together. This must have triggered my inner pyromanic and the note caught on fire. 

I tried to blow out the fire, not wanting to destroy her last words to me, but it didn't help. I ended up just excepting that it is gone forever, just like how she wanted it to be. Once the paper was just ash, I teleport the ashes to the trash (due to my laziness) and take the box, with my suit, into my hands. 

I think of a place and disappear into thin air, hiding the box where it can never be found until I am ready to accept my destiny.