Chapter 28

"I was at the Curtis until I had to work." He shrugged.

"How are they?"

"What do you think? Pony can't stop crying. I've never seen Darry so dead."

"Sorry." I mumbled softly.

"You are the only one that seems okay about this like you are glad he left because it isn't his." He snapped at me.

"I'm not okay! I can't think about him without crying and I just wanted to know if I was the only one and it is his!" I started crying, I thought Steve was suppose to be here for me and not just attach me for everything. "You can leave." I got up and went to my room. 

I laid down in bed and cried. I couldn't think, now I knew the one person that I was suppose to be able to go to I can't talk to at all and now I felt so alone. I laid there for probably an hour just bawling, finally I was able to calm myself down. 

I heard a knock on the door. "Alex? Can I come in?" Steve asked. 

"Go away." I mumbled pulling the blanket over my head. 

"Please, I'm sorry it hasn't been an easy day for any of us." He slowly opened the door. I didn't move or do anything. He sat down on the bed. "Look, he was my best friend as long as I can remember. It was hard to see him go and we went back and all just sat around crying and talking about him. It's going to take sometime getting used to not seeing him every day. Seeing you and being here just makes it harder." 

"Then why did you tell him you'd help me if you hate me?" I asked. 

"I don't hate you why do you think that? Plus I couldn't let him leave and not know what's going to happen to you, he wouldn't be able to think straight and he would get him self killed." 

"You've always acted like you hated me, when ever I'm around you never say two words and when you finally talk to me its to yell at me and treat me like some awful person and I don't know what I've ever done to you to deserve that." I finally sat up and looked at him, my eyes watering again.  

"I don't hate you. I just never knew what to say to you and today has just been so hard." He mumbled. 

"I know." I looked down. "I miss him." My eyes started to water and I broke down crying. "What if he doesn't come back?" I pulled my knees up to my chest. 

"Come on, don't think that. He will be back. I know he will." He mumbled and put his arm around me. "Don't worry. He will." He pulled me closer and rubbed my arm. 

I laid into him crying. 

"Okay come on, you let it out now pull it together." He pulled away a bit. 

"I can't." I shook my head. 

He sighed a bit and laid down pulling me with him. He pulled me close and kept mumbling calming things into my year. After a while I fell asleep, Steve did too a while later. 

I woke up the next morning and Soda wasn't there. I sat up and remembered what happened, then I thought where was Steve. 

I got up and went out to the living room to see him watching tv. I went and sat down on the other side of couch. 

We watched tv for a while without saying anything. 

I glanced over at him and smiled a bit. "Thank you for last night." 

"No problem." He shrugged. 

"Do you want any breakfast?" I asked him. 

"No, I should probably get going, I'll see you later." He got up and left without another word. 

I got up after a bit and went to go take a shower and then start breakfast. I ate then cleaned up and started to get ready for work. I didn't want to go but I had too. 

After work I walked home and went right into my room and laid down on the bed. I was so tired and missed Soda so much. I grabbed my paper and started writing my first letter to him. 

Dear Soda, 

I miss you so much, I hope you are doing well. I've missed you terribly. Everyone does, I just got back from work. All I could think about is how you were doing. We are all okay, we are holding it together pretty well. I've been doing really well, I haven't had any appointments yet but I think we are doing really well. I just wanted to write you a short little letter since you just left. I love you so much and I can't wait to hear back from you. 

I love you, Alex xoxo

I got up and address the letter and mailed it. I went and laid back down and curled up. I thought about going and seeing the gang but I don't think I could deal with that yet. I laid there for a while and I cried. I missed him more than anything. 

I fell asleep for a couple hours, I went out to the living room and I saw Steve. "Hi." I smiled at him and sat down. 

"How are you doing?" He asked. 

"I mean better than I thought I would be." I smiled a bit. "How are you?" 

"That's good and I'm doing better than I thought I would be too." He nodded and smiled. 

"I owe a lot of that to you, thank you." I smiled. 

"You are helping me too." He nodded. 

I smiled and moved over beside him and laid my head on his shoulder. He put his arm around me and I lean into him. 

We sat there and watched tv for a while. I looked up at him and he looked at me. I smiled a bit and he lean down and kissed me. 

I froze when he pulled away and I just looked at him. "Uh sorry. I should probably go." He got up quickly. 

"Steve." I looked at him. He turned around, I could barely look at him. "Please don't." I mumbled softly looking down. 

He tried to hid his smile. I looked down and got up and went to my room.