CHAPTER 3- GET READY FOR THE PARTY

The next morning, I woke up before my usual time but stayed in my room. After last night's event, where my dad had made a brilliant spectacle of me, I didn't wish to face him. Nor would he want me to.

The little clock on my bedside table indicated I was going to be late for work but that was something I could deal with. Mike was an amazing boss and though he disliked unpunctuality, he would understand my concern.

Once I heard the car move out of the driveway, I hurried out of my room. Sitting inside my room since dawn, as the night before had played itself again in my head in the form of a horrible nightmare and woke me up, I had lost my appetite. Now for some reason, as dad's car turned around the left corner, I felt famished.

Making my way to the kitchen where our househelp, Jane, was putting whatever was left of the breakfast in the refrigerator, I grabbed a sandwich and stuffed it in my mouth. Jane smiled at the act and served me another one, pairing it with a slice of cake.

"You're late for breakfast," she said, pouring a glass of orange juice for me.

"Woke up late," I lied. "This is delicious, by the way," I pointed at the sandwich that was already nearing its end.

Noticing how she was pouring another glass of orange juice and putting it on a serving tray, I asked, "who's that for?"

The question was answered the next moment when I heard Lahaina enter the kitchen with a frown on her perfectly trimmed brows, "what's taking you so long?" she chided Jane. The househelp tensed with her presence and quickly went to her with the juice.

"Did my dress arrive?" She asked, picking up the glass and taking a sip.

"Not yet, Ms Lahaina," Jane informed her.

"Then go get it, you fool! I need it before evening!" She shouted at her. Screaming and shouting over people without any apparent reason was a norm in this house.

Jane gave her a timid nod and went out of the kitchen. Watching me have my breakfast, Lahaina came towards me. She placed her now empty glass on the table and folded her arms across her chest. Having no intention of starting a conversation, I stayed silent and waited for her to speak.

For the initial few seconds, she said nothing. I took the last bite of my cake and went around her to put the dishes away in the sink. Out of the corner of my eyes, I saw her turn around and lean against the kitchen counter. "We have to attend a party tonight so come early from that little cafe of yours," Lahaina said with an eye roll.

"You're all going to a party?"

"Are you hard of hearing? Did you not hear me say 'we'"? She said, irritated.

"Your 'we' usually doesn't include me." I put away the dishes and washed my hand, turning to face her.

Lahaina was a few inches taller than me. With her beautiful blonde hair, blue eyes and body that would put models to shame, she was every man's dream. Add in the confidence and excellent social skills and it was no surprise that men were always after her. On the other hand, I could hardly stop myself from judging my reflection in front of a mirror.

"I didn't want to include you. It's just that an old friend of dad who could potentially be his new business associate wanted to meet both of his daughters," she twisted her mouth in disgust while saying the word 'both'.

"Alright," I told her. Because of his business and dealings with other business people, dad was always attending formal parties and get-togethers. Lahaina and Juliea were always with him, helping him create more connections and meet new people. He never took me along. Never felt the need to. As I was the daughter that he was ashamed of.