CHAPTER 4- MEETING HIM. AGAIN

The party was more extravagant than I had assumed it was going to be. Apart from all the rich men and women from the business world, the venue was packed with renowned movie stars, celebrities and models. The men were dressed in tailored suits while the ladies in elegant dresses, looked graceful. It reminded me of Lahaina's comment on my appearance back at home. It had not bothered me then, but for some reason, it made me nervous now.

We joined the party only a few minutes ago but Lahaina had already greeted more than a dozen people by now. She seemed to know everyone and had not burdened herself with the task of introducing me to them—not that I minded.

Everyone here seemed to know everyone. The look of pleasant surprise whenever they greeted someone new, followed by a bright smile and sickly sweet words was somewhat heartening but it made me wonder how much of it was real. I followed Lahaina, staying a couple of feet behind, as she made her way to dad, complimenting and embracing people as she went.

Dad, with Juliea standing beside him, was talking to a few men. One of them, I recognized, was his old friend, Max. Watching us come towards them, Juliea turned to give Lahaina a side hug accompanied by a shower of compliments. I was not even spared a look.

"You look lovely, Caro," Max said with a smile and gave me a fatherly hug. I had known Max ever since I was a kid. Before he moved to Britain, along with his family, shifting his entire business there, he used to visit our home regularly.

"It's good to see you again, Uncle Max," I said.

"James was just telling me about your mother," he said, turning to dad and giving him a sad smile, "I'm so sorry for your loss, Caro. Isabella was a wonderful woman."

My mother? Loss? What?

I looked at dad with confusion as he nodded his head at Max's words. The melancholic smile on his old, wrinkled face scared me for a moment until his eyes turned to me. The sadness that he had put on show for his friend was replaced by a threatening glare, daring me to do anything to mess up his lie.

Juliea, who was standing beside him, placed a comforting hand on his arm and sighed. I shook my head in disbelief. It was him who had treated mom so badly all her life and literally thrown her out of his house. And now, after all these years, just to hide his true self, he was lying about her death.

"She indeed was," I smiled at Max. The smile was more sardonic than genuine.

"So, Max," dad said, drawing his attention back to himself. "I hope you'll give thought to us working together again."

"I'm looking forward to it," Max said and took dad's hand for a shake.

Max said goodbye to all four of us then walked to the other side of the room. Lahaina, who had been looking around the hall subtly till now, dropped the act and turned to dad, "where the hell is he?"

"He better be here, James. You said he would be," Juliea gave dad a hard glance and patted her daughter's arm in reassurance.

"He is. Now, come on," he said, leading the way. Juliea and Lahaina followed whereas I walked ahead of them and next to dad, intending to get answers.

The identity of the 'he' they were searching for, so desperately, was fairly obvious but my mind was still muddled with the topic of the previous conversation. He had just lied about his ex-wife's death to his friend without any remorse.

"Why did you lie to him?" I demanded, trying to match his strides as he made his way towards his prey for the evening.

"Do not think you can talk to me like that here just because there are people around," he warned.