CHAPTER 10 - FOR THE LAST TIME

The weekend came sooner than I wanted it to. The past few days have gone by faster than the speed of light for me. One moment Aaron had dropped me off home after our first date, with a promise to meet me at the weekend, and the other I was sneaking out of my house to get to the cab that I had intentionally called at a distance to my house to spend my day with him.

My happiness when I got home after my dinner with Aaron was short-lived. It was not long when my family had come back from the Jenkins ball, evaporating everything nice I felt like steam in the air. They had come back early since Lahaina did not wish to stay at the party when the man she had gone to meet had decided to not attend it.

Her fury that day was immeasurable. Her face had turned almost red with the emotions she was feeling and her outburst had caught everyone off-guard. Usually, when Lahaina lost her calm, Juliea would be by her side asking her to calm down but that night, she had decided to stand at the side, allowing Lahaina to blame her step-father for everything.

Lahaina had screamed at him in anger, blamed him for Aaron's absence and called him names for asking her to attend an event when there was no reason for her to be there. Initially, dad had stayed calm. He welcomed everything she said to him with a placid look on his face. It was clear he had expected the outburst the moment he saw Aaron not present at the ball and found Lahaina's anger just.

Then all hell broke loose. My father was never a patient man. One mistake and he would do everything possible to ruin a life. Since I had experienced it first hand, I had always been wary of his temper.

On the other hand, Lahaina was never at the receiving end of it. She would do things that would normally piss him off and he would never bat an eye to it. I had always wondered why it was the case. Whether it was because getting on Lahaina's bad side would mean getting on Juliea's bad side, which could cause huge damage to his business or was it that he actually was fond of Lahaina because she shared the same mindset as him.

But, that night it had all changed. For the very first time, my father had lost his temper at my step-sister. What had amazed me was how, even though the fury, the one that I was terrified of, was there in his eyes, his words were the only thing he had thrown at her. I was used to dodging stuff thrown at me.

"Who the fuck you think you are? Aaron Woodwords doesn't give a shit about you James Marshall. You want his money? The only way you can get it is through me, so you better get your shit together and take the back seat while I do the work," Lahaina had screamed at him.

"You will not speak to me in that tone, girl. I'm doing everything I can to convince Ethan so that you two get together!" My father had warned. His voice had gone higher than Lahaina's, echoing around the walls of our house.

"Oh yeah? Are you? You said Ethan was on our side! You said Ethan wanted me to marry his son so that both our companies would do better! But is it working? Is your friend doing anything? Because the way I see it, not even Ethan knew why Aaron had all of a sudden decided to cancel the deal and not attend the ball!"

"Shut up, Lahaina!" My father's voice got higher, "I already talked to Ethan and Aaron will not be going against his father. I have planned it well!"

"Fuck your plans! Fuck this party! Fuck the deal! Fuck Ethan! and fuck you!" Lahaina had screamed at him and locked herself in her room for the rest of the night.

I had not planned to stay there spectating the whole thing but when the topic of my father's conversation about Lahaina marrying Aaron had come up, I failed to walk away like it was nothing. Whenever I met Aaron, there was always this thought of my father wanting him for Lahaina going on at the back of my head. After hearing Ethan and dad talk about the arrangement, I had an idea that they were trying to get them together, but now hearing them say it out loud and clear, added a certain weight to it.