EPILOGUE

****Aaron's POV****

I looked at my wristwatch for the twelfth time in the last ten minutes and sighed. It's been only a few hours since I had walked inside my office and barely twenty minutes since I joined the branch managers in the conference room to preside over their meeting, but it was already feeling like I've been sitting in my chair for a lifetime.

It was an important meeting, one that can be delayed any further. All the branch managers around the country have flown in to suggest some reforms, a project that I had initiated for better management of the firm, and a project that I now regret starting at the wrong time.

I should be at home with Caroline right now, not listening to my manager' 'revolutionary' ideas that I no longer cared about—at least not for the next few months. Caroline was pregnant and she was my priority right now. Just this morning, she woke up feeling uneasy. Despite her protests, claiming she was 'fine', I took her to the hospital. Though the doctors have said it was nothing to worry about, they had run a few tests, the reports for which were yet to arrive.

I had driven Caroline home from the hospital after the required tests and it was only on her insistence that I had come to work.

The managers were arguing with one another about their proposed ideas, debating the good and the bad. I could turn the argument in the room into grave silence by a word, but I reserved it for later. The ideas proposed weren't all that bad, and if it wasn't for the constant thought of my wife's well-being, I would have suggested some changes in the ideas that would have made them more fluid and applicable for practical usage.

My phone, kept on the conference table, rang, silencing them all and turning every head in my direction. I returned none of their confused glances. Phones were prohibited from conference rooms in my office. And I, for one, have never been one to break that rule. Until now, that is. It was time to change that rule anyway.

"Excuse me, ladies and gentlemen," I said and walked out of the room to attend the call.

"Good afternoon, Mr Woodwords," the doctor said as soon as I put the phone to my ear.

"Is everything alright, doctor?"

"Yes, indeed. The reports are absolutely fine. It was only a moderate increase in the cortisol levels. It is caused by stress. Eating well and resting more is all that's needed for now."

"Is that all, doctor? Just stress?"

"Yes, Mr Woodwords. You need not worry. They both are doing extremely well."

"Thank you, doc," I said and ended the call.

I walked up to Carter's desk. "Cancel all my meetings for the day and take notes of the conference going on. Mail it to me by the end of the day," I instructed.

He nodded and immediately went ahead to do what he was ordered to do. I walked straight to the parking lot and drove back home.

Eating well and resting more was all that was needed, right? I've already asked Nina and the other workers to ensure that first thing. It was the latter that worried me. But that needed to be fixed. I needed to take care of her, because even though there were tons of people around to look after her, I didn't trust them, not even Caroline herself, when it came to her health.

With long strides I walked towards our bedroom. She wasn't there. I sighed and shook my head as I turned around to walk to her studio.

She must be working again. There was another exhibition scheduled the following week featuring her, and no matter what I said or did, she was always found in her studio lost in a new creation. No wonder, her stress level was high.