CHAPTER 7- WANNA DATE?

"Caroline, this is Ethan Woodwords, a very dear friend of mine," dad introduced him. "Aaron's father," he added.

"Nice to meet you, sir," I said, returning the smile and taking his hand that he had offered for a shake.

"Call me Ethan, please. I've known James for very long. Surprisingly, we haven't met before," he said, throwing an accusatory look at my father who laughed in response. Ethan gave out a chuckle as well.

"Caro has never been a very social child," my father said in a voice so sweet that it caught me off guard. If I didn't know better, I would have scoffed at that statement.

"I'll take my leave then, James," Ethan said, looking at my father. "I will have to talk to my son about our arrangement."

"Very well. It also seems like I managed to convince him of the collaboration on the Brooklyn project. Aaron for sure will be signing the deal tomorrow. You may talk to him about the arrangement after the deal," dad recommended and his friend nodded in agreement.

"That would be better. I assured him I will not be interfering with the Brooklyn project so I don't know about tomorrow but I will surely talk to him about the rest later," said Ethan.

As dad escorted him out of the house, I made my way to my room lost in thought. What just happened? What was the arrangement they were talking about? Did it also involve Lahaina? Dad had said she would be 'elated' about it. If it did, then- oh no. I was no Sherlock Holmes, but it didn't require me to be the world's greatest detective to conclude what could be possibly brewing between the three of them.

The past whole month, Lahaina had been going around the house happily flaunting how she was meeting Aaron Woodwords in almost all of the get-togethers. According to her, he had also started falling for her charms, but I had not given it much care until today. If her words were true and after what I had just witnessed, they certainly seem to be true, I needed to maintain my distance from Mr Woodwords.

I don't know if it was just courtesy that Mr Woodwords always had something to talk to me or if he was still not over the money throwing incident and always felt the need to make things awkward for me, but I will have to stay out of his way. And Lahaina's way. Because considering my father and his infinitesimal temper, it was not like I had any other choice.

With that thought engraved in my mind, I went to bed.

When I woke up in the morning it was due to the constant ringing of my phone. For most of my life, I had no one to call me throughout the day and now all of a sudden, I was being woken up by the ringing of my phone way too often.

Grabbing my phone from the side table, I looked at the caller ID before answering. I didn't want a repeat of when Mr Woodwords had called me. It was Nadia.

"Hey, Nad," I said. My voice was surprisingly cheerful and I wondered why it was. It took me a brief moment to remember it was because I was meeting Dylan. After all these years, after being separated from almost every loved one, it was good to have at least one of them back.

"Wow. You sound quite happy. What is it?" She asked.

"I met Dylan last night."

"The stupidest creature, who is unfortunately, your cousin?" Nadia repeated the words that I had used when telling her about him.

I laughed being reminded of that statement. "Yes. I'm meeting him at Harper's. Wanna join?" I offered.

Nadia gave it a thought, then asked. "You sure you want me to? You'll be meeting him after so long."

It was true that there was a lot to catch up with him. I have not heard a word about him or uncle William or Aunt Jenna for so long and there was a lot to talk about. His current status with owning his own company and becoming Richie rich was also going to take a long conversation for him to tell me everything.