CHAPTER FOUR

CHAPTER 4
THE SPIRIT WALKER

KATARA had almost been riding all day with out stopping

Both of them were hungry, tired and weak.

The roads were too dangerous to risk, so she chose to ride through the wilderness, away from anywhere and everyone. It was much longer to travel, but the risks were too high on the dusty roads.

More and more dead trees closed in, the savannah grass had long disappeared and only shrubs stuck up in patches. The mountains in the distance watched Katara and Kelpie, as they walked through the dead land.

Her ass was sore, sweat coated both her and Kelpie. And mercifully, the sun had already begun to submit.

As she sat amount the mare, she stopped. Listening to a rhythmic sound.

It sounded of hooves. Lots of hooves as wild horses broke out from the tree line. At the head was the stallion, his chestnut coat was fluid as water, stocky limbs moving faster than what she would have thought possible. She watched in awe. The soft dry soil was no match for their hooves and in their wake sods were flying in a arcing spray. Their heads were extended forwards but their ears flat back, puffs of moisture escaping from their nostrils. None of them were especially tall, fifteen hands at the most; but they were an impressive sight, streaming past in the post-dusk light. Katara continued off toward the trees, curious to know what had them so rattled.

Never did she imagine to see a heard of wild horses, most of those wild, untamed beast dwelled west, in the Red Arid.

The further she rode into the trees the more eerily dark it became. Fewer then little plants rapped around the dead trees that lingered over head as she looked intently into the sea of it all. No animals could be heard, even the birds were silent in there, but the wind blew gently as Katara heard the noise of something metallic echoing.

Forward on, she followed the sound of metal ringing. The sound lead her to a twisting tree in the centre of a opening through the surrounding trees, where the sun's last rays shone down on it. Hanging off one its trunks, hung a charm of some kind. Pieces of metal, feathers and beads sagged on it as they chimed against one another. The charm, Katara played with it through her fingers.

A wind chime, she guessed. But another thought trailed it.

Was someone out there? Was this a resistance clan's territory? Was this a warning sign of some kind? The thoughts frighten her, as did Kelpie who sensed the whiff of concern, making her a little on edge. But just the sheer thought of either getting caught by the soldiers or a resistance clan was unimaginable. "How about we stay here for the night girl? I don't think those soldiers will come looking for us in here" Katara attempted to calm the uneasy mare.

Jumping off Kelpie she watched her as she dropped to her knees, under the deranged looking tree. Katara chuckled to herself at the mare's actions, but Katara's laughter did not last, disturbed by her growling stomach. She had to be prepared for the night.