Chapter 16

"She'll come back around. She didn't mean it. Give her time. She just needs to cool down and get some space."" my dad says.

"Mom's too stubborn to let things go. She can hold a grudge pretty well. Also don't forget how blatantly honest she is. She meant every word she said." I look out the window and watch people walking by as I drive past them. All I want is to be someone else and not talk about my mom for just a minute.

"Yes but you're her child. She loves you and means well." my dad assures me.

"You heard what she said to me. She doesn't want to deal with me and that's fine." I tell him.

"She says things she doesn't mean when shes overwhelmed and stressed." my dad says.

"Could you please stop defending her for a moment and realize the things she told me tonight? She told me I slept around with guys too much. She called her own daughter a slut. Do you really think she cares about me?" I ask him getting that tense feeling in my shoulders again.

"I know you're relationship with your mother has not always been the best. She does care about you though? You should've seen how happy she was when you were placed in her arms after you were born." he tells me trying to get her on my good side.

"She never acts like she cares about me. I don't even remember the last time she told me she loved me." Tears form in the corner of my eyes but I blink away before any can fall. "Can we just drop the subject? I know you think I am upset about 'losing' my mother but I am fine dad. You don't have to lie to me about her. And how wonderful she is and how we need to fix our relationship because we're blood related. I am an adult and I can handle it."

The rest of the drive was silent. Luckily Robbie was asleep in the back and he didn't hear the conversation. My dad pulls up to the curb in front of my apartment.

I sigh, I feel bad for leaving things like this. I might not see my dad for a while, and it's not his fault my mom disowned me.

"Just to let you know I did have a great time tonight before that whole argument." I tell him after I've calmed down.

"I'm happy you did." he smiles.

"I'll see you soon. Bye dad." I get out of the car and wake Robbie up. We gather up our stuff and say our goodbyes before my dad leaves.

He mouths I love you and drives off. I stand on the pavement and watch his car get smaller and smaller as it travels farther down the street.

____________

We walk up the stairs to my place. As soon as I open the door the cool air hits my face as I walk in. All I want to do is go to sleep. I toss my bags aside and rush to get in my pajamas. Robbie's already in bed looking at his phone. We haven't talked since we left my dads house. I crawl in bed and turn the lights out so that only the moonlight can shine through the window. It was absolutely silent. The only thing you could hear was the sirens and honking outside my window. You could hear the liveliness run throughout the city. It used to be annoying but I've gotten so used to it that it's become a lullaby. It's become the music I listen to when I fall asleep. I get under the covers and lay on my side because I'm not sure if Robbie wants to talk. I was surprised when Robbie puts his arm around me and holds my hand.

"Are you okay?" he asks in a soft voice.

"Yeah. I could be better. I'm just really sorry you had to see that."

"Don't apologize. What you did was brave and I admire that."

"Thanks. It feels weird. I never thought it would happen to me. I've seen it in movies when the parents kick their kids out for doing something that they don't like or something like that. I just never thought it could happen. Parents are suppose to love and support their kids no matter what. If you loved your kid you'd never want to let them go."

"I know, and I'm truly sorry this happened to you because nobody deserves this." he comforts me.

"I'm just so jealous of your family."

"Jealous of my family? What's there to be jealous of?" Robbie asks.

"Everything about it. Everyone likes each other and you have two great sisters who are so protective of you. Your parents don't fight and they let you have choices all the time. They just seem to get along so well. My family was never like that. I felt like everyday this house would break down into a million pieces."

"I never thought of it that way." he says.

"You're just so lucky to have such amazing parents and siblings. They support you and everything you do so well. All my life while growing up I thought I missed out on something. I missed out on support. Like the times I used to dance when I was four and I'd look out and see a sea of everybody's parents but mine. Or when I told her how I wanted to be a lawyer a few years ago and she just laughed in my face. She thought that school would be too hard for me. She wanted me to do what she does which is to be a writer. I feel like she tried to live through me sometimes. I always tried so hard to make her proud of me when in the end I realized she doesn't care."

"I'm so sorry. I want to say more I want to make you better but I don't know what to say but that." he says.

I smile, he's so caring, "You don't have to say anything. You don't even have to be sorry. All you have to do is be here with me."