17

Starting anew.

Time was all that was needed for Alice to truly heal, her body could now function properly and she merely needed to be charged at least every three days. Training with the New Avengers had proved as a wonderful way for her to relax her mind from her torments. Alice made an exceptional team member, and despite her dislike for some of the members she worked tirelessly to form some level of friendship with them.

Sam and Rhodey were wonderful company for Alice, their maturity and almost father-like nature was something she greatly adored,  and of everyone in the New Avengers she felt she worked best with them. Wanda was as great a comfort as anything, although their connection had been severed when Alice chose to save Pietro. Wanda could no longer read or alter Alice's thoughts, and sometimes Alice wish she could, wished she could eradicate the nightmares from which she suffered. Alice still had great unease whenever she was with The Vision, she didn't like him and maybe that was because they were so similar, or that every time he spoke it was a stab in the heart as it reminded her of J.A.R.V.I.S, with whom she greatly got along with.

Finally, there was Pietro, it seemed the previous events were a trial for their relationship. Though, when surrounded by others they tried to remain optimistic and witty, which seemed to be their trademark when it came to communication and socialising, it was not the same when they were with each other. Nothing bad had happened, it was more that Alice needed mental healing and the nightmares that plagued her kept her awake most nights. She would not speak of them, but Pietro believed they had to do with him dying, and so to comfort her he'd hold her tightly, kiss her softly and let her take charge.

"Pietro..." Her voice quavered in the darkness of their room. Steve had reluctantly allowed the two to share quarters until Alice had entirely healed.

"Alice?" He looked up at her, their hands were entwined and he only realised that she had fallen asleep once again in his arms.

"You'll stay with me won't you?" She asked refusing to meet his eyes, clearly something from her mind was tormenting her.

"Of course, I love you." He breathed and she finally looked up at him, "I've loved you since the moment I saw you, and I've fallen for you twice, how lucky am I?" He smiled.

"I... I... I-" she stammered but he held his finger to her lips silencing her.

"I know..." He planted a gentle kiss on her forehead and held her closer to him, waiting for her to succumb to slumber.

It was at these moments he felt good being able to protect her, selfish that he wanted her to stay here with him forever, but most importantly they both felt safe with each other. Nothing could take that away from them but each other and that may be the reason for their healing or their downfall. Yet, that didn't matter as long as they had each other.