F & D • 4 • Left Behind

Ellis

         Wrapping my arm around Roman's waist, I yawned. She was out cold and buried under a mountain of pillows. After putting Mekhi to bed last night, I found myself at her door nearly begging her to forgive me for my actions. It was sort of a natural reaction. I'd had a rough day at work only to come home to bad news.

It was my fault that I felt the way that I did. I allowed myself to hope that she would change her mind about leaving. She voiced that she wanted to go back but wasn't ready and wasn't sure if she could handle the pressure if being home. To me, that was saying that she wouldn't return. Now, I didn't know what to do and I had about a month to get myself together or find someone else. I would miss this but I couldn't force her to stay.

My phone vibrated and answering it without looking at the caller ID was the biggest mistake I could've made. "Yeah?" I said lowly getting up to leave the room so that I didn't wake Roman.

"You home?" The voice asked calmly through the line. His tone was a bit intimidating but I quickly shook off my discomfort. I'd never fear another man.

"Nah," I lied.

"All black Camero SS," He slightly chuckled naming my car. "Temporary tag. Smart guy,"

"Look," I swallowed hard peeking out of my window. "I'll give you back your money just give me time,"

"I don't have time. Come outside," He suggested. "Let's have a little talk,"

"Fuck we got to talk about?" I growled. "I told you, I'll get your money,"

"This isn't about the money," He fell silent. "Come outside or I'm kicking your fucking door down and dragging you out myself,"

I cleared my throat. "My son is upstairs. At least give me a couple of hours to find a babysitter,"

"One hour," He said before abruptly ending the call. I ran my hands over my face letting out a deep sigh. I was already stressed out, I didn't need anymore drama today. I jogged upstairs quickly getting Mehki ready for daycare. I thought making up a lie to find a babysitter would buy me some time but that failed.

"Good morning," Roman called from behind me as I made breakfast.

"Morning," We both said in unison. Mehki drank his juice as she greeted him gently kissing his cheek then doing the same to me.

"I thought he stays home with you on Friday's?" She said stealing a piece of fruit from my plate.

"He does but I got called into work today,"

"I can keep him," She offered smiling over toward him. "I like his company. He's so silly,"

I chuckled quickly pecking her lips. "I already told his teachers that he'd be coming today. Thank you though,"

She nodded. "Well since I have nothing to do today and you're busy, I'll go and run some errands with Sadie," She tied her hair up into a messy bun as she talked. "I work all day tomorrow, date night Sunday?"

"I'll call you," I smirked.

She winked and said her goodbyes to Mekhi. I watched her leave out and a load relief washed over me. I didn't want to see her go but I didn't know who was watching me. It was best for her to leave—it was probably best for me to keep my distance for a few days.