F & D • 17 • Will You?

Aubrey

          "Can that light be dimmed? or cut off completely? When I'm standing to the right, it's directly in my face," I explained as the tech crew adjusted my lighting for tonights show. This was the tour kickoff in Toronto and I needed everything to be how I envisioned it. Once everything settled, I made my way to the back where the real conversations were happening. Oliver had a plan. We drew out a timeline last minute and I was supposed to memorize it before 7 o' clock tonight. I huffed sitting back as we went through the song list. Eventually, I checked out of the conversation. The lack of sleep I'd gotten was taking a toll on me.

"Has Roman had time to work with you on your set with the dancers?" Oliver asked. As soon as the question left his mouth, she came walking in with her brother. She was clad in all black, sporting a high bun and a fresh face.

"A little," I kept my response vague so that she didn't catch on to any of my antics. I had plans for her too.

"And I'm going to need him in about ten minutes if we want it finished for tonight," She chimed in. 40 watched her with a look of concern as she rushed through the room and to the back.

"Keep an eye on her," He whispered to me and proceeded to his station to get us back on track.

After finalizing the schedule, I joined Roman. She was tweaking the current routine and fixing any mistakes she found. I couldn't help but notice how uneasy she was. Her eyes were bloodshot, face pale, she never sat. She paced back and forth until she began to dance along with them. I waited until a break was necessary to pull her away.

"Sit down for a minute," I said gently grabbing her arm.

"I'm okay,"

"You look exhausted," She finally plopped down in the chair that I occupied before bugging her. I stood in front of her, she rested her forehead on my abdomen while I rubbed her back.

"I'm going to have Oliver send you back home,"

"I'm fine," She whined. "My body just has to readjust to this schedule,"

"I thought we talked about not forcing it," I said.

"I'm not forcing it. If I need to go home, I will. I don't need you making that decision for me," She snapped and pulled away from me. I frowned as she stood up telling everybody to join us again. She ran through the previous routine one last time and allowed the dancers another break. I sat fiddling with the music while Roman and Oliver chopped it up.

"How quick is the transition from 'For Free' to 'Faithful'?" I asked Oliver.

"You have about a three minute block in between,"

"Then why don't we cut the dancers all together until the end,"

"Then how will you fill the gap?" Roman asked.

"You can do a solo," I suggested catching Oliver's attention to go along with it. If I was going to surprise her, I had to make it flow properly. "It's short and you're the only person who knows it. No sense in stressing yourself out to teach it and fit it in before 7,"

"I agree,"

"A solo it is," Roman said. "Can you keep up?"

"I can try," She nodded and cued the music. I jumped in where I saw fit and kept up as much as I could. Her body moved against mine. She was slow, much like she was when she was riding me until sun up. My bottom lip was embedded between my teeth as I watched her do her thing. She grabbed my hand and spun herself around.