25

David helped me into the car. "Where are you taking me?" I asked. He just shook his head and walked to the drivers side. "Ugh." I moaned clenching my jaw and holding my stomach. He whirled around fast.

          "Are you ok?" He asked quickly. "Do we need to go to the hospital?"

           I laughed still in pain. "No, no. I'm ok." He closed the door and buckled his seatbelt. Ten minutes later he told me to close my eyes.

          "I'll tell you when to open them." The car stopped and I heard him get out and walk to my side. "Don't open them." He said, helping me out of the car. I grunted and he closed the car door.

          He lead me through a doorway and I immediately smelled wet animals. "Davy. Where are we?" I asked screwing my face into a grimace.

          "Open your eyes..." he trailed off. We were in front of a room of cats.

          "Oh David! Look at them!" I exclaimed, putting my hands to my face. "They are adorable!"

           "Do you want to go in?" He asked me. I nodded enthusiastically.

          "Yes. Take me in!" He opened the door and the cats scattered. I lowered myself to the floor and started to pet the cats.

          I sat on the floor for 15 minutes before David spoke. "We are going to take them home." He said. I looked up confused.

          "Them?" I asked. "The who?"

          "Any two that you choose." He replied. My heart leaped.

          "You're serious?!" I asked. He nodded. I scurried around the room and pet all of the cats. One in particular I sat petting for 5 minutes. He had light brown fur and white specks. I picked him up and he nestled his head in the crook of my neck. I glanced over at David and he smiled.

          "David he's perfect." David already had a small black and white cat in his hands. She was sleeping. We walked out of the room and to the adoption desk. We named them Zoey and Jack. 

***

          I walked up to the elevator and stopped to wait for David who had the a cat in each arm. We made it all the way to our living room before I felt my stomach drop.

          There was a huge wet spot on the front of my jeans. "David..." I trailed off calmly. "My water just broke."