Dad

Marks POV:

It had been almost a whole week. Tuesday was tomorrow, and that was the deadline, like always, but I hadn't even thought about bringing up the conversation with Jack. I'm scared and I feel that if I do bring it up, I'll pass out from self hatred.

You could just tell that Jack knew something wasn't right. He was always asking me if I was okay, or if something had happened recently that was making me act so weird, and I was trying not to act weird. It's just hard when your basically using your best friend for a petty bully from school.

I hate to say this, but I miss the old Felix. The sober, cheerful, bright Felix. He actually made my days have a little more sunshine but now he just brings clouds. The type of clouds that won't go away when you're trying to go to the beach.

Jack and I were sat in my room, like we always were after school, and I decided it was finally time to ask. But I knew he wouldn't tell me, and I hated myself because that made me scared. As if I deserve to know his secret when I really don't for what I've done to him. For burying myself in this hole in the first place.

"Hey... J-Jack?" I stuttered as I watched him intensely slam the buttons on the consoles controller. He looked up and paused the game, a confused look on his face.

"Yea?" He turned his body to me as if he knew this wasn't some stupid and silly remark like always, this was a serious conversation.

"Wh-what's your secret?"

"Mark you know I-"

"It's just we've been best friends for so long now and I trust you with my life. Can you trust me with yours?" God I was such an asshat. I wanted to scream no you can't! You can't trust him he's a liar! But I couldn't. I felt voiceless. My thoughts choking me as I struggled to speak.

He took a deep breath and looked at me. And I mean Really looked at me, as if he was scanning me. I looked at him with a confused expression and he sighed.

"I can... I know I can. But I'm scared you'll leave me..." I took his hand into mine and gave him a warm, convincing smile. Nice job, you piece of shit.

"I would never leave you." I said, in my deep, serious voice. He smiled and blushed as he realised where his hand was. He giggled and took his hand away before looking back at me with his blue eyes.

Then he did something unexpected.

He told me.

Jack's POV:

I took a deep breath and exhaled it before opening my mouth to speak.

"My dad is an alcoholic." Mark's eyes widened and he held my hand again, but I didn't realise that until much later. "When I was a kid, he used to stumble through my door after midnight and scream at my mom. This was when I was so young, there was nothing I could do about it. My mom used to cry for hours and hours and I used to try and crawl into her and stop her from crying. I would say "would you stop crying if daddy wasn't here?" And she would just cry harder. There was nothing I could do to make it stop. I could never sleep or eat, my thoughts were constantly filled with her screams. Sleeping in another room, still felt like I was with her. Sleeping right beside her." I thought I saw Mark wipe away a tear, but I wasn't looking at him, I was looking into the void of the floor, trying to hold back my screams from the memories.