The Second Choice

Could this day get more boring?
I look at my stack of papers that need to be filled out. I feel so useless. I've only filled out 14 in two hours.
I open my desk drawer and look at the picture of America. Oh America.
It's been three months since my selection ended. I made the biggest mistake of my life that day.
I'm marrying Kriss in a month.
I run my hand over the picture of America. She looks so happy standing next to me in this picture. But I made her cry. I broke her heart. She loved me. And I loved her. I love her. I still do and always will. Who knows what she thinks of me now.
Kriss and I barely talk. I know she's trying to love me. I tried too. But I don't want that. She still does. But she's my second choice.
I should've picked America.
"Hello, love," Kriss says as she walks in.
"Hi, Kriss," I reply, closing the drawer.
"How's the work going?"
"Fine."
"That's good."
"Yeah."
We're both silent for an awkward moment.
"I was thinking maybe we could go on a date soon," she says.
"Oh?"
"We haven't gone on one in weeks. I know you're busy, but I think it'd be good for us."
"We'll have to look at our schedule, but that's a good idea."
"Ok."
She kisses my cheek then walks out.
Wow. That was the most intimate moment we've had in awhile.