Silence

The first week with America as my fiancé was an emotional one. We were both so happy to finally be together. We spent Christmas Day together eating our favorite foods and enjoying the day of relaxation. We talked more than ever. I feel like I know America like the back of my hand now.
While there were so many happy moments, I do still feel the burden of the stressful moments. My father has been very silent over the week. Now he's called me to his office for what I'm sure is the scolding of a lifetime.
I'm surprised to see the door wide open when I make it to his office.
He tells me to leave it open when I come in. I sit by my mother across from him.
We sit there in silence for awhile, the tension rising in the room.
My mother is the first to speak up. "We're going to need America and you to start planning the wedding. Of course if you need any help don't be afraid to ask."
My father sits up. "The people have waited long enough because of your mistakes. We're going to need the wedding to happen in two months time."
"Two months? That's hardly enough time to get everything in place father," I argue.
"Do not argue with me, boy."
I close my mouth.
"You two are going to start planning. The wedding will be in two months so you better get to work."
"Fine," I agree.
He frowns at me. "You're dismissed."
I get up and walk out, not bothering to look at my mother.

I knock on the door to America's princess suite. It's directly next to my room, with a door between to allow us in and out of each other's rooms.
She opens the door and smiles at me.
"Everything ok?" she asks after seeing my not-so-happy smile.
"Yes. Just my father being my father is all," I explain.
She has me come in and we sit on the bed together.
"What'd he do now?" she questions.
"He's making us plan the wedding for only two months away. That's hardly going to give us time to plan. I don't want him to ruin the wedding for us."
She holds my hand. "He's not going to ruin our wedding, Maxon. It's ok. With help from the staff I know two months will be plenty of time to plan our perfect wedding."
"I want you to have the time to pick everything you want America. I want it to be perfect for you."
"Oh Maxon. As long as I get to marry you I don't care. It'll still be wonderful."
"Are you sure?"
"I'm sure. Two months is perfect. I want to get married as soon as possible anyway. We'll have to get started today though. I can look at dress designs and you could start getting the kitchen taste testing ready."
I smile. "Sounds perfect."
She smiles back and kisses me. I kiss her back happily.
"I love you," she tells me.
"I love you too, my dear."
She makes a face. "When are you going to stop calling me that?"
"Never."
She smacks my chest playfully. "You're such a child."
"Why thank you."
"That is no compliment."
"Oh really."
"Really."
She laughs as I start poking her side. I do it until she lays down.
"Stop! You're so annoying."
I stop and grin.
A guard rushes in after hearing her yell.
We both look at him.
I blush a bit since I'm kind of on top of her.
"Everything's fine, we're just goofing around. You can go," I explain.
He doesn't make eye contact. He bows then goes back out.
"Did you see his face?" America laughs.
"That was amusing."
"It was very amusing. So worth getting walked in on."
I laugh at her and watch her beautiful smile.
"What are you looking at me like that for?" she says with a little shyness.
"Your smile just blows me away. I find myself falling more in love with you every time I see it."
"Oh Maxon," she says lovingly.
She puts her hand on my cheek as I lean down and kiss her.
I lay with her, kissing her and holding her close for awhile.
"We really should get working on the wedding plans," she insists.
"Just a little longer."
She nods and hugs me close.
I feel myself relax with my arms around her.
She's right, we will have the perfect wedding. I'll make sure of it.