I'm Lost

I didn't have any time to spend with the girls today, so they spent the day together instead. I knew I'd be stuck in meetings and would be far too busy in my breaks between to see any of them. I arranged for a sewing circle with my mother. She gladly agreed to do it.
She's such a good mom.
I sigh as I sit my note taking tools and such on my desk.
Days like these always feel like a waste to me. Yes, I got a lot of office work done. But should that be my priority just because I'm Prince Maxon? What about human Maxon? What about the guy who loves traveling and photography. What about the guy who just wants to focus on being happy and marrying the love of his life. I guess it didn't totally leave me. The entire day there was only one girl on my mind.

I can't help but smile when America opens her door.
She smiles back. "What are you doing here? It's late."
She's right. It's already past 9. But I couldn't keep myself from seeing her beauty all day.
"I was hoping you'd help me destress a bit. It's been a long day."
"Destress how exactly?"
"Maybe a walk in the garden. You always seem to find your way out there when you need a break. You might have discovered some secret detox."
"Sounds good to me. Let me get dressed though. I shouldn't walk around in my nightgown and slippers."
"Right of course. I'll wait out here."
I do as I say and wait outside her door while she changes.
She comes out in a pair of jeans and a blouse with a jacket overtop.
"Why am I surprised," I tease.
"I don't know. I suppose Maxon Schreave doesn't know me as well as I thought."
"Oh I know America Singer very well. I'm glad to admit that."
She rolls her eyes playfully and we head outside.
I have the guard let us out and ask him not to tell anyone we're out here. He agrees not to tell anyone unless they ask, which is good enough for me.
"How were the meetings?" America asks.
"Far too boring to enjoy. I would much rather have spent the day out here with you," I flirt.
She smiles a bit.
"And how was the sewing circle?"
"Fun. I've never done that before. Your mother is so good at it too! She helped give us tips and gave us all some extras for practice."
"She is a very talented woman. I'm a pretty lucky son."
"I can agree with that."
We both walk in peaceful silence for a moment when an idea hits me.
"America," I stop her.
She looks at me with big eyes. "Yes?"
"I want to show you something."
She looks at my hand when I hold it out. After a moment of hesitation she takes it.
I lead her to the back corner of the garden. There's a clearing with just grass in this back corner.
I have her close her eyes and I help her lay down.
I lay next to her before telling her to open her eyes.
I watch the smile appear on her face as she sees the bright night sky. The sky seems to be the only thing around in the spot. Nothing intrudes on the sight.
"Oh Maxon. It's beautiful."
"It is."
I usually find it hard to tear my eyes away from the shining stars, but I'm lost in the beauty that is America.
Her eyes move to mine and I can't help but smile.
A big smile spreads across her face. "You're such a dork."
She scoots closer and holds my hand.
We both stare up into the sky on a most magical night.