A Royal Engagement

I'm not surprised to see the entire staff bustling around when I leave my room early in the morning. The Christmas Eve ball is one of the biggest days of the year. It's heavily reported on the news and is the talk of the country. And this one is even more important than ever. Today, I will get engaged. Hopefully for the last time.
I make my way to the women's room, knocking gently on the door.
The girls say come in, so I do.
I asked the girls to join me here for a private breakfast away from the madness. It will be our last private meal together before the ball. We're going to have to eat lunch while getting ready since there will be no time for a break.
"Thank you girls for joining me," I appreciate while sitting between Daphne and Celeste.
Daphne places her hand on my leg. "It seemed very important to you. I wouldn't miss it for the world."
"Please refrain from touching me. It is very inappropriate," I request.
She huffs and removes her hand dramatically, but seems to move on quickly. "So, who are you going to be choosing at the ball?"
"I want everyone to find out at the same time, so you are going to have to wait and see."
"But don't you think it's fair to let the one know so that she can properly prepare herself."
"I do not. That's the last I want to hear of it. Now please, let's eat."
We all get our meals and begin eating.
I glance over at America who is smiling a bit while she eats.
"I want to thank you all for these past few weeks. I know it wasn't easy having to come back and go through this process over again. But if it weren't for you this country may not have a future queen. The choice I make tonight I believe will be the best thing for the future of our country. I am going to miss you all being here, but I'm excited to move on with the one and to grow this country to its best. So thank you for being part of that."
They all nod and watch me, trying to analyze my words and discover my choice.
After a bit more chatting and once we finish our food, we leave for our rooms to prepare for the ball.

"Everything looks wonderful," I compliment our event planner.
"Thank you sir. Everything is to your liking I presume?"
"Of course. It's beautiful. I only hope the guests love it as much as I do."
He smiles and bows before wondering off to check on final touches.
I turn around as the large doors open and the girls make their way in. They all have Christmas ball gowns and fine jewelry on. I can't help but keep my eyes on America longer than I should. She's wearing a blue gown with an attached cape and resemblances of snow flakes.
She continues to blow me away everyday.
She looks at me and smiles. I can't help but smile back before looking away.
"You all look lovely," I tell them.
They all say thank you.
"The ball is going to begin soon, but I have a present for you all first."
I motion for the butlers to bring over the wrapped gifts.
"Since we won't all be spending Christmas Day together, I wanted to give you your gifts now. I hope you enjoy."
I watch them all open their gifts excited.
Most of the girls got fine jewelry, diamond earrings and necklaces. But I decided to get America something different.
I watch her gently pull out the picture frame. It's hand carved wood with designs of roses and diamonds placed into it. I have our picture from last Christmas in it.
She looks at me lovingly and I see her tear up a bit.
"These are beautiful," Celeste tells me as she puts the new earrings I got her in her ears.
"I hope you all like your gifts. The butlers can take anything you don't want to hold to your rooms. Now, we must welcome our guests," I instruct.
We meet with my parents at the front doors. We take the time to welcome everyone.

Once dinner is over guests begin chatting and dancing.
Daphne rushes over to me. "Let's dance Maxon. Please, please, please."
"I'm sorry Daphne but I need to prepare for the announcement," I use as an excuse.
"You can't give me one dance first?"
"No. I'm sorry."
"You're so mean!"
She huffs and marches off.
I sigh and look around.
A lot of people are looking at me. More than normal at least. I can't screw this up. They're all waiting.
After a few more dances the music ceases and I make my way to the front of the dance floor.
The music conductor gets me a microphone.
"I want to thank you all for being here. This evening has been splendid. I wouldn't want to spend this joyous evening any other way. I know you all have been waiting for this eagerly and trust me, I'm ready to get it done. But I first want to ask all the girls to join me up front."
The crowd starts whispering as the girls make their way forward.
I take a deep breath. "I think everything happens for a reason. I was engaged to a woman I thought I could love. But I couldn't. And now I'm getting a second chance. A chance that I think was destined to happen. There is a woman next to me that I love very dearly, and who I've loved as long as I've known her. I was just blind until now."
I look over at the girls. Daphne has a huge grin on her face. The others look nervous.
"I have chosen to marry....America Singer."
The crowd claps and cheers.
I make my way over to America who was tearing up again. I take her hand and put the simple, perfect ring on her finger.
Daphne growls and stomps away.
The other girls follow more elegantly.
I speak into the microphone, "America has been my rock the entire time she has been here. Just yesterday I was panicking, scared to make the wrong choice and to ruin everything. But she pulled me together and told me to follow my heart. She told me my heart would lead me in the right direction. She will make a wonderful princess who put her country first and I know she will give me all of her love. She is brave, caring, and so strong. And she is the love of my life."
I watch her as I speak these words. I kiss her as the crowd cheers again. She kisses me back passionately.
I move back after a moment and wipe the tears from her face.
"I was so scared you weren't going to choose me," she admits.
"How could I not. I love you."
She hugs me and I hug her back.
Butlers being passing out glasses of Champaign.
I hold up my glass and everyone follows suit.
"To love and to building a bright future together!"
Everyone cheers.
The rest of the night is spent celebrating. America is by my side the entire time, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Merry Christmas Eve! I hope you enjoy this extra long chapter today. Tell me in the comments what you are most excited for for Christmas! I'm excited to eat orange cinnamon rolls and to spend time with my family. Stay safe and enjoy the holiday season! Love you guys 💖
(Sorry I'm late posting this! Got a little busy with the family and just remembered)