Welcome Back

"Welcome back, ladies. I have invited you all here because I will be continuing my selection with the Elite. Kriss can no longer have children and therefore isn't an option. I will have to choose a bride before the month is up, which means we have at most three weeks and we will be spending a lot of time together."
America hasn't even looked at me. Not since I walked in. The other girls haven't taken their eyes off of me. Daphne is the only one not here yet.
"We will all be having lunch together once we're done here. Then I will be having a one on one date with someone."
Celeste raises her hand.
"Yes?" I ask.
"Who will that be with?" she asks.
"I'm not sure yet. I will decide soon after lunch."
I look at each of them. She still isn't looking at me.
"Now if you will ladies, please follow the guards to the dining hall," I instruct.
They get up and start coming over.
I look at America, her eyes still down.
Before I can get her attention, Daphne barges in.
"Oh Maxon!"
She comes over and hugs me.
America walks out with the other girls.
Daphne smiles up at me. "I knew you would choose me."
"I haven't chosen anyone," I promise her.
"Then why would you have me come here? You only had to have the elite come back, but you chosen to have me come too."
I so badly want to tell her that my father made me, but that would be a bad decision.
"Right. Let's head to lunch, Daphne," I tell her.
"Alright dear."
I make a bit of a face as she holds onto my arm and we begin our walk to the dining hall.

Lunch was fairly quiet.
I don't mind, it made it easier for me to plan everything out in my head.
I stand up and the girls look at me, all but America who keeps eating.
"I appreciate you all coming back here after all of the confusion. I apologize if it inconvenienced you in any way. Today I will be having two dates. As you know, there will be one after lunch. But I would also like to have one after dinner. For now, I would like to ask America to join me for a walk in the garden," I announce.
She looks up and over at me.
She looks at the others then gets up.
I hear a disapproving grunt from my father. But I don't care. I want my America back.
I come over to her and hold my arm out.
She puts her arm in mine and I can feel how tense she is.
I lead her out to the garden without a word from either of us.
"I'm sorry, America," I apologize.
She shakes her head.
"I am. I made a huge mistake. I acted irrationally out of anger. I was just so hurt that you would do that to me."
She looks at me angry and moves away.
"YOU were hurt? I didn't even do anything. If you would've just listened to me you would've known that we didn't even hook up. He's with someone else Maxon," she nearly shouts.
I feel a pang in my chest.
"I thought-" I begin.
"You thought wrong. And if you think an apology is enough to fix this, it's not."
"I know it's not. I know. But please just give me another chance. That's all I ask."
She hesitates.
"Please America. I'll prove to you that I love you."
"Don't say that."
"But it's true."
"One more chance Maxon. I'm not a toy. So don't play games with me."
"I won't."
"Fine."
"Thank you."
She looks away.
"Now, can we continue our walk? I'd like to catch up."
She nods and takes my arm.
Well. It's a start.