June 2019

~Archer~

I had just completed the third year of my fourth year leading to degree of Bachelor of Arts majoring in landscape architecture when Felix made a request. I was excited about passing all my modules. Felix thought we should celebrate, rather oddly. He wanted to formally meet my mom.

Even though we had been dating for 3 years, Felix had never officially met my mom or anyone in my family. Mom nagged me a lot about meeting him but I wasn't going to pressurize him. Knowing the history, it was his decision to make. He had grown from the last time he'd seen her and though she may not recognize him, he definitely knew who she was. And of course seeing a picture of his dad on the wall in the living area was not ideal.

When he said he was ready, I could only say okay. Mom excitedly invited us for dinner. Stella and Clark had been eager to join us but changed their minds at the last minute. I had been hoping for them to be there but it looked like it was just going to be mom, Felix and I and probably a death-stare between the people I loved.

It was on a Friday night during summer. I had been home for a week and Felix had arrived the night before. Mom had prepared a scrumptious dinner and we both sat anxiously in the living area, waiting for Felix.

When the knock came, I could have passed out. I stood up faster than lighting, beating my mom to the door. I could feel my blood pressure slowly rising as I speed-walked to the door. It was a miracle I didn't pass out. I opened.

Felix was standing there, looking his confident handsome self. He smiled when he saw me and then his smile faded.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

"Yeah. I just...stood up really fast, and I had been lying down", I said.

He chuckled. "I am really flattered you nearly killed yourself for me", he said.

"Just come in before mom comes to drag you", I said.

"In a sec, I have something to do first", he said.

I was about to ask what it was that really needed his attention when he crushed his lips against mine. My body overrode my mind and I found myself responding to the kiss. I pulled back a little and he gave me two short kisses.

"Felix!" I warned.

He smirked and shrugged, deciding to walk in. I closed the door and led him to the living area. I did the introductions and the two of them exchanged a few words before mom decided to serve dinner. I led Felix to the dining room.

"So Felix, how old are you?" mom asked, trying to sound as casual as possible while she ate her peas.

Of course she wanted to know his age. The judging had begun already. I bet she was close to tallying her scores.

"10 years older than Archer". Felix replied.

I couldn't decide if saying the difference between our ages or saying his age (31) was better. It didn't seem to matter to my mom. I could see the sides of her lips quiver. To her I was her little boy and Felix was a grown-ass man. That I was 21 didn't matter.

She was unusually looking at her food, which only told me her disapproval.

"I didn't get your last name", she said, cutting the silence. I could tell she was trying hard to be polite. In her mind Felix was a pederast. Never mind that I was old enough.