April 2020

~Archer~

Married at 21...it wasn't something I had envisioned. But I hadn't envisioned getting kidnapped and almost getting killed. One thing I had learned was that, life didn't always go the way you planned. Sometimes detours happened, and for the best.

I loved my husband and I was certain he loved me back. Being his was the best feeling in the world.

It was always interesting when people asked about the ring on my finger. I'll give you a glimpse of such a scenario.

A week before my final fourth year exams a classmate decided to throw a party. It was on the upper class part of town. He like Stella came from a wealthy family. It was more like a get-together than a party. There was going to be a few people, music and food. I was invited. I could bring a partner, but Felix didn't want to go. Mingling with "kids" wasn't his scene. He'd said those words and I'd reminded him that he was not only in a relationship with one, he was married to one and we found lots to talk about.

I left Felix at his apartment. I was going to spend the weekend there so Felix said he would pick me up from the get-together at some point during the night.

The get-together was nice and the apartment was beautiful. I mingled with everyone and had the food and drinks. I knew most of the people there and they knew me. There was however some who didn't.

"Hi. Archer, right?" one of the girls at the get-together said to me as I sat on one of the couches, a beer in my hand. She had black natural kinky hair and a nice smile. I remembered her as Colton's girlfriend. Colton was my classmate.

"Yeah, hi", I said flashing her a smile.

"Is that a ring?" she asked suddenly, having noticed my fingers when I raised the bottle to take a swig. My wedding band was simple platinum with gold trimmings and tiny diamond accents that ran the length of the band.

"Uh yeah", I said.

"Is it an accessory?" she asked. "It looks great".

"It's my wedding ring", I said.

Her eyes enlarged as if in realization. "You are married?!"

I nodded. It wasn't unheard of for 22 year olds to marry.

"How old are you?" she asked.

"22" I said.

"How long?" she asked quickly. It seemed really exciting for her.

"3 months", I said.

"Wow. That's so exciting. Lucky girl", she said with a wide grin.

"Lucky guy actually", I corrected. I couldn't have finished talking for a nanosecond before my phone rang in my jacket pocket.

"Speak of the devil", I said after I removed my phone from the pocket. I pressed 'answer'.

"Can I come pick you up now?" Felix asked as soon as I placed the phone near my ear.

I chuckled slightly. "I have only been here for an hour".

"I miss you", he whined.