June 2020

~Felix~

"Beep! Beep! Beep!"

I pressed hard on the car's horn to a point where the palm of my hand was beginning to hurt. The car in front of me wasn't moving; neither was the car in front of it.

I was stuck in the middle of the road during rush hour traffic, on Archer's graduation day.

It had all started with the words,

"I'll be a few minutes late".

Those words had been uttered by one of the artists signed to Chris Cruz gallery. We had made an appointment to discuss a solo show. Li Xing wasn't just a promising artist; she was a talented artist who did amazing things with watercolors. We had sold a lot of her paintings, and she had a lot more in her basement. A solo was a good idea.

Meeting her on that day wasn't.

Archer was on the afternoon program. I figured I would be done with the meeting with Lin so I scheduled it. I didn't count on her being late.

I was now stuck in traffic, on one of the days important in Archer's life.

I leaned sideways and grabbed the little box on the passenger seat. I was a rectangular box wrapped in purple wrapping paper. It even had a bow. Hopefully it would make up for it if I didn't get to the graduation on time.

"Beep!" I pressed the horn again for good measure. I knew it was irritating, but I didn't care.

I looked at my watch swiftly. I still had some time, provided the cars in front started moving. I could switch off my engine and no one would notice since the cars barely moved.

It didn't look like I was going to make it.

I took out my phone from my jacket and dialed a number.

"Stella"

"Hey", I said sheepishly. "How is he?"

"What do you think? Where are you?"

"On my way", I said. I had called to tell her I would probably be late but I couldn't say it anymore.

"You better be here soon. He's agitated".

"How mad do you think he'll be if I missed it?" I asked tentatively.

"You...." Stella said but she was cut off. I heard a new voice on the line.

"Felix, where are you?" It was Archer.

"I'm on my way Pancakes"

"Once they start they won't let you in", he said.

"I know. I'll be there", I said and noticed the car in front start moving. I eased my foot off the brakes.

"Okay. Well, hurry", he said. Even after what I said he sounded worried.

"I will. Bye".

After I hung up I sighed.

=