June 2020(4)

~Felix~

Only seconds after I left the room, I could hear Archer moving about. I had no idea what he was doing, but I hoped he did as I told him and stayed in the room. If whoever was outside the door caused trouble, I had to make sure Archer was safe from harm.

He was and would forever be my first priority. If we ever heard the pitter-patter of little feet, he'd share that spot.

With my gun at my side, I walked towards the door. I got there just as the person knocked again.

"Who is it?"

"Thank God. Hi...um...hi. My name is Jess...Jessica. I...um...stranded. I was wondering if you could help me".

It was a young woman's voice, somewhere between the ages of 20 and 26. She sounded distressed and innocent enough. I didn't relax my hold on my gun though. It could be a ploy. She could be working with some people, who planned to swarm into the cabin once I opened the door.

They'd wish they never set foot there.

I unlocked and opened the door with one hand, keeping my gun steady with the other. I was greeted by the sight of a young woman with disheveled blond hair. She was shorter than me, maybe a little taller than Archer. She looked like she had been crying.

"Phew! Hi" she said.

"Hi"

"I saw the car..." she said pointing behind her with her thumb. "...and the lights and I figured there'd be someone here".

"How'd you get here?" I asked firmly, making sure to look behind her.

She broke down. "I...I don't know. I just..." she went quiet as she sobbed.

I was stunned. I didn't know what to do. My hand on the gun relaxed and I discreetly put it in my pants behind me, covering it with my jacket.

"What do you mean you don't know?"

"I-I-I don't know. I woke up and..." she said. She was crying harder now.

I was lost for words. I didn't know how to deal with crying people. There was a bit of silence that was finally destroyed by the arrival of Archer at the door. He stood beside me, wearing my sweater and jogging pants. His clothes had all been discarded between the kitchen and the living room.

"Hi", he said to the girl.

I shot him a look. "What did I say?"

"The girl is harmless. She's obviously in distress. When I said to ask questions I didn't mean to grill someone who obviously needs help", he said. "Would you like to come in?" he asked the girl.

She nodded slightly, but in an instant a fearful look crossed her eyes.

"It's okay. My husband is not exactly great with people, but he's harmless. You must be tired", he said softly.

The girl finally walked in and I closed the door. I still looked outside a couple of times before closing the door.

Now that she was in the light, the girl looked like she had been playing on the ground. There was soil on her clothes and bits of grass in her hair. Archer cajoled her into sitting on the couch. He sat next to her. I felt weird just standing there with the stranger in our place.