Chapter 35

Chapter 35

Christmastime became the main focus of the Cooper household over the next week, even though their spirit was somewhat dimmed by the need of still having someone stay up at night and stand guard due to Clint's insisting.

Bliss retrieved the few things she had bought while in Plateau all those weeks ago and took them down from her closet. Some of the things still needed to be made, but she had managed to buy Colt a brand-new shirt without him knowing it. His shirts were growing threadbare and she knew that he needed a new one. Daddy had been needing a new pair of boots for a while, so all of the cowboys pitched in with her and they bought him a pair. For Grace, she had bought the material to make her a new apron.

However, she was stuck on what to make for Clint. He had to have something from her to thank him for all that he had done. Bliss wracked her brain for ideas.

A knock sounded on her door and she shoved the box of presents under her bed before answering it. She opened the door and saw Damian standing there.

"Bliss, we need to talk," he said.

"About what?" Bliss was kind of wary of talking to her friend with Clint's suspicions still floating around in her mind.

"About Clint."

Bliss leaned against the doorway. "Why?"
"He's got to go. I know you want him gone just as much as me, you know," Damian said.

Bliss drew her eyebrows close together. "That might have been true at first, but I've change my mind now. What quarrel do you have with him?"

She knew all too well what Damian's quarrel with Clint was, but she had to ask.

"He's tearing this family apart, don't you see that? You and your father are at each other's throats and I'm not getting along with any of you. He's making us turn on each other."

Bliss sighed. She could contain herself. "The reason my father and I are having relationship problems has nothing to do with Clint. As of you not getting along with us, I think we all know whose fault that is. None of us feel right trusting you after you lied to us."

Damian clenched his jaw. "You don't even know the whole story about that."

"I don't have to. I know when to stop trusting someone. As a matter of fact, I'm surprised you haven't left us yet. You'd think you'd know when you were licked," Bliss commented.

"This isn't a competition, Bliss."

"Sure it isn't. You haven't liked Clint since he arrived. Maybe you feared that he would see through you, and he did. You can't keep secrets around here for long. Somehow, somewhere, they will always be found out. You wrote the notes, didn't you?" Bliss asked.

Damian dropped his head.

"I knew it," Bliss sighed.

"You don't understand. I was completely broke. They told me that they wouldn't hurt anyone. They just wanted the money," Damian confessed.

"So you decided to betray us for money? Money didn't matter to you before the war, you know. You believed in this family. You fought alongside us, you struggled with us, and yet you go and turn your back on us like this?" Bliss crossed her arms.

"I was completely broke, Bliss. I didn't have but a quarter to my name," Damian defended himself.

"We would have helped you. You know that. How did they even find you, anyway?" Bliss asked.

Damian opened his mouth, and then shut it back.

"Cat got your tongue, Damian?" The question didn't come from Bliss.