Chapter 42

Chapter 42

"Here, Daddy this one's for you," Bliss smiled as she handed her father his present the next morning. Clint had still been too sore to join them, but Bliss had his present put away near the back to take to him after they had all finished.

Daddy opened the packaging and pulled out one of his new boots. The shiny brown leather contrasted against his weathered fingers as his eyes swept over the footwear in wonder.

"H-How did you get these?" he asked.

"I bought them while I was in town last month. The store had a good sale on them, too," Bliss smiled.

Daddy smiled genuinely back at her. "Thank you. I haven't had a new pair of boots in so long. I'm not sure how I'll be able to walk in any other ones."

"Colt can always break them in for you," Bliss elbowed Colt, who sat next to her cross-legged on the floor in the parlor.

"Don't volunteer me for stuff," Colt scowled playfully at her.

Bliss handed him his package.

Later on that morning, Bliss took Clint's small, sentimental present back to his room and laid it in his lap.

"What's this?" he asked.

"It's not much, really. It's probably not even worth calling a present, but I hope you like it," Bliss pulled the chair over to stand beside the bed before she sat in it.

Clint slowly opened the packaging until it revealed its contents. He held the item up to the light and a faint smile broke out over his lips as his eyes glistened with an emotion she hadn't known existed inside of him.

"It's the casing from the first bullet I shot. You stood behind me and made sure I didn't get blown away," Bliss grinned. "It's not a real Christmas present, but I guess it's just something to remember me by."

Clint smiled over at her. "It's the best thing anybody's ever given me."

Bliss' smile found its way to her heart as the look of sincerity shone on his face. She had wanted to give him so much more, since this was his first real Christmas, but never got around to it. His reaction to her simple offering was more than satisfactory. Even the numerous amount of gifts she had received seemed petty when Clint examined the casing so closely.

"Thank you, Bliss. I don't think I could forget about you if I tried, but this will really help," Clint commented.

Bliss nodded. "You're welcome. I'm glad you understand my sentimentality. A lesser man would have brushed the thing away without as much as a second glance," Bliss responded.

Clint shook his head and placed the casing on his bedside table. "No, I have to say it means a lot to me," he said.

Bliss smiled. "How are you feeling?"

"Somewhat better. Maybe I'll be up and out of here soon. The room, I mean," Clint said.

She nodded and stood. "You better bet you will. I'm going to help Grace cook. You holler if you need anything, okay? Colt will probably come and keep you company in a little bit."

Clint nodded.

"Merry Christmas," Bliss said as she lightly punched him on the shoulder, the ever-present smile still on her face.

Clint looked at her and rubbed his arm in mock hurt. "It was merry, until you decided to knock my arm out of socket," he teased.

"You big baby," Bliss waved him off with her hand and walked toward the door.