Epilogue

Epilogue

Bliss looked down at her pale pink dress with lace trip at the collar and cuffs in admiration. The day she had been waiting for had come. Today she would become Mrs. Bliss Slade. Her stomach flipped at the thought. This wedding was different from her last. The entire feeling surrounding it was different - better - than the last had been with Joe. She knew that Clint loved her with all of his heart. She could tell by the way he looked at her, by the way his hand clasped over hers anytime there was a chance, the way that he was the perfect gentleman to her. Joe had never had any of those qualities.

Pushing the thoughts of the evil man aside, she looked at herself in the mirror one last time. The sun brightened her hair that was pulled back into a loose chignon, making it glisten and shine. Her eyes seemed a little bit of a brighter brown today, even though she hadn’t got much sleep at all. Her whole face conveyed that she was truly happy. Her dress, with it stylish fashion and beautiful lace trimmings, couldn’t hold a candle to how beautiful she felt on the inside.

Thank you for this day, Lord. For this dream that is finally coming true. For everything that Clint and I have, and everything that is sure to be. There are no words to express how truly grateful I am to you for your blessings.

Grace opened the door to her bedroom and rushed in. “I found it,” she said.

Bliss drew her eyebrows close together and looked at the small jewelry box in Grace’s hand. “Found what?”

She had been confused when Grace rushed off moments before, saying that she forgot something. Now her curiosity replaced the confusion as Grace opened the jewelry box.

She withdrew a brooch from the box and held it up for Bliss to see. “This was your mothers,” she said fondly. “She had worn it on her wedding day, and I figure that it’s only right for you to wear it.”

Bliss’ eyes glistened with tears as she studied the pin in Grace’s hand. It was beautiful. Tiny pale pink flowers stood out against the ivory background of the brooch and complimented the gold lining. It matched her dress perfectly. Most of all, it had been worn by her mother.

“Thank you for giving me this, Grace. You don’t know how much it means to me,” Bliss said, covering her mouth with her hand to stifle the tears.

“Don’t cry, sweetie. Clint will wonder what on earth he did wrong,” Grace said with a hint of a smile on her face as she pinned the brooch to the collar of Bliss’ dress.

Bliss turned to the mirror and smiled at the piece of jewelry. “It’s lovely,” she whispered.

“Your mother would be so proud of you, honey. I believe this is exactly how she would have wanted you to look on your wedding day. I’m sure she is giggling at the irony of you marrying Clint Slade, too,” Grace commented.

Bliss laughed slightly. “It is a funny twist of fate, isn’t it?”

Grace sighed. “But it has all worked out for good. If you would have told me three months ago that you and Clint would be getting married, let alone with God at the head of your marriage, I would have called you crazy. Leave it up to life to surprise you, though.”
A knock sounded at the door.

“We’re ready,” Hawk said. “Mr. Cooper will be here in a minute.”

“Okay, thank you, Hawk,” Grace said.

She turned back to Bliss. “You’ll make a great wife, my dear. I’m sure of it. I’ve taught you how to cook decently, and that is what makes a marriage work most of the time.”

Bliss laughed at the woman and hugged her. “Thank you for raising me. I know Momma would appreciate it so much. I couldn’t have asked for a better second mother.”