Chapter 2

I woke with a grogginess in my throat, and my skin itching like I had a fever. I tried to open my eyes, but they were already open. The space was just dark; small and cold, like no air was surrounding me. My body felt weak, and I don't know where I am. I painfully lift my hands upward only to be stopped by... wood. I felt around me; under me was cushioned, but above was hard and splintered and cold. "I- I am in a coffin.." I began to struggle, but as dirt began to seep through I stopped.

Voices soft like a breeze drifted into my hole. "HELLO!" I screamed with all my might. "HELP! I DON'T KNOW WHERE I AM!" I yelled hoping someone would hear me. Screams burst from above, they yelled of the dead speaking. But, I am alive, or I wouldn't be here. Am I alive?? I don't remember... I might be dead.

I could feel time pass, but it felt so slow. I barely ever heard voices above, but when I did, I would try and get them to dig me out. Everyone would just run in fear, though there were a couple. they said they would dig me out and get a shovel, I could hear them dig, but then a scream and it was gone; both times, a scream then nothing. I only want to know what happened to them, their kindness will not be forgotten. 

Everyday I scream for help, and everyday no one comes to help me. I feel like years have passed, but I can't tell, not like there is any type of light to give me a clue when the day is up.

I hear the padding of the ground under the feet of someone running. I scream for help, to be dug out, to be free of this hole. "HELP! PLEASE! DIG ME OUT.." Silence follows my words. A tear sliding down my face, I didn't even know I could still cry. I turn my head to the side as the person is probably gone, just forgot to scream. the earth above me rumbles, I look towards the sound, my body tingling with anticipation. A shovel breaks through the box above me; the lid lifted, and I jump up in happiness, only to fall back down. My legs not working properly, but the laugh in front of me interrupts my thoughts. A young girl with medium blond hair stands in front of me. Her dark blue jeans disgusting with mud, and her shirt heavy with dirt.

"Names Jack, nice to meet you." She stuck out her hand to greet me. "I-I" I stopped, I don't remember my name.. She tilted her head, but smiled non-the-less. "It's okay to not remember your name, it will come back at some point." I shook her hand and she pulled me up with all of her weight. I almost fell, but she caught me before I touched the ground, "I gotcha." She smiled and helped me climb out of the hole. Leading me around, she dragged me over to a dark ally. 

"This is my home, welcome." She smiled and set me down next to a dumpster out of sight of the street. 

"Where is everyone?" I looked at her; she looked back and smiled again. 

"There is a serial killer running around this part of town, he is heartless. Killing without a care in the world, like that's what he was raised on; a thirst for blood." I looked around in worry, he could be anywhere, and I can't run, let alone walk.

 "Then, why are you alone?" 

She looked down the street then came back, " I had a fight with my family and ran for it. I don't really wanna go back, like I want to have an adventure, whether I die form it or not." 

My jaw dropped at her, " You want to die?" 

She shook her head no, "Of course not, but sometime you will have to die. Like you, you're already dead, which I totally would not have seen if I wasn't having an adventure!!" She paused, "I'm going to help you Gravedigger."

 I looked at her questioningly, "Gravedigger? I mean I want help, need help, but whose Gravedigger, and how did you know I was dead!?"

 she smiled at me with a little smirk, " I just know, and besides I am calling you how I found you, I had to dig out a grave to find you, so Grave- Digger.... Gravedigger.." I began to open my mouth to speak again, but she interrupted- "So, I will help you until you can run on your own, just do as I say. KAYZ!" I nodded, suspicious of what she meant when she wanted me to do as she said. Does she want me to do something bad? Well I mean if she gets me to a run, I should owe her at least that.

"Now then!" she hopped into the dumpster I sat beside, throwing out a thin blanket. "Here, use this." I picked it up out of kindness, "But, I don't get cold.." She shook her head, "Of course you don't, its to hide if the murderer ever comes down the street or the ally, YOU get caught, I get caught! So don't get caught!." I nodded at her, and she continued to smile. "Now, hide yourself, I need to go fetch some food for myself. Remember, do not get caught! It has been a while since I have had someone to talk to."

After she finished talking she ran out into the street, like she hadn't a care in the world. I tucked my legs in and wrapped the blanket around me, shrouding myself in darkness, not to be seen at all. I waited for the sound of Jack to come back, waiting for her cheerful voice to spring back into motion, moving the still air.

Hours passed by until I heard footsteps. I peeked out, but what stood in front of me was not Jack. He had shoulder length back hair, crazed eyes, a knife dripping with blood. He did not see me, but I could tell he smelled life had been here before. His lips twitched before he ran off down the alley way, disappearing out the other side and around the corner.

Another thirty minutes went by before I heard a cheerful "La la la la", coming around the dumpster. "Jack!" she jumped at the scream of her name. "W- what?" She shuddered.

"I thought you were dead!" I screamed out to her.

"Calm down, I'm alright. What happened to make you think I was dead, the one and only FABULOUS me??" I scoffed at her laughter, "There was a boy with black hair, and a knife dripping with fresh blood."  She looked away, "Oh, yeah I saw the body on the way back. I can smell the stench of death too. A young female of age, maybe late twenties. Her throat was sliced like butter, blood splattered everywhere, flowing down the street in a steady stream."

Jacks voice faded with the night setting in the sky. "Good night." She smiled at me and hopped into the dumpster. I listened to her settle into her little home. I don't even know why she calls herself Jack, surely that is not her real name?

I covered my body back up and closed my eyes, listening to the night outside my grave.