Chapter 5

I sweep the room with my eyes looking for something to get a better view. Nothing was laying around, so I climbed the wall where some ropes hung down. As I got closer I saw the object more clearly, a sack full of something that dripped red. I followed the chain that hung the sack to its source. I got down off the wall and jogged over to an opposing wall, grabbing the chain I slowly lowered the sack. The bag hit the ground like a body dropping on cement. 

I walked over to the bag with caution, and lifted the rope that kept it closed. I untied the ropes and peered inside, a stench like hell leaking out. I opened the sack all the way so the contents spilled out. 

It must have been a young boy as the contents gruesomely suggested the gender. I quickly got up and walked on, I am only in the mood to find Jack. 

I continued to scan the room, looking for any signs of Jack, she would've left something subtle for me to follow, right? I found an opened glass door between large boxes of stench and rot. I quickly strode over and walked through into the pitch black room. I searched beside the door to find a light switch of some sort.

Finding the switch it flipped on a blinding white light. As my eyes adjusted to the light I fell to my knees.  On top of a pile of rugged meat laid Jacks head with her dead blue eyes and lips that no longer held a smile. I could hear her laughter mixed with the memory of my laugh before I died. That boy had killed Jack, and now he must pay.

I lifted my heavy body and walked out the doors that lead me to this horrid place. I walked untill I found the boy sitting in a pool of clotting blood. His eyes barly alive, but enough to recognize me. His eyes widened, and his mouth tried to scream, but I quickly shut him up with a rag. I stared into his eyes.

"I know you. I see you." My own mouth formed into a smile, "I know what you did, I know who you are." I leaned in close to his face, I quietly grabbed his knife. A tear streamed down his face, "little brother." Fear spread across his face until I slit his neck so deep his head fell from his shoulders.

I got back up as my smile grew wider until my cheeks almost split open. Dropping the blade that shun bright red I ghostly walked back towards Jacks mangled mass of a corpse. I kneeled down and gently picked up her head, placing it aside the flesh pile. I grabbed a sack from near by and rolled up my sleeves. I threw every last piece of that pile until nothing but her head and blood was left on the floor. I tied the bag with some of Jack's torn clothes, then I grabbed her head and left the building. My body felt heavy knowing Jack was dead. I would never see that bright smile of hers again. I would never hear her ominous laugh like nothing was wrong. Was that her adventure? Was that were her adventure was supposed to end? Or was my ubrupt intro into her life what caused her to die? Tears started to pour down my face the more I thought about why her life ended, it all fell back upon me, it was my fault she died. Jack would've never been over in that area if I had not been qith her. She would've been happy and hiding in her own little world. Its all my fault Jack was dead.

I gained back consciousness from my thoughts and found myself back in the same cemetery that Jack found me in. I looked around and found my grave. I looked at the head stone, but not mjch was left of it. Just the date was there, and the first letter of my first name.

"G  1950 - 1972"

I looked around to find all the graves carefully placed and greatly taken care of, mine was the only one broken, the only one that looked as if no one cared about the person who laid inside.

I laid Jack down beaide my grave and started to work. I beat the head stone down into pebbles and brushed them away with my feet. I picked up the heavier rocks and carried them away. I kept one rock that cane out to be flat on one side, that would be Jacks headstone. I redug my grave into nicely lined walls, not a freestyle dig out that Jack had done to find me. Finally I placed Jack inside her grave, her head already slightly rotting away. I placed dirt ontop of her, until I finiahed the pile and stamped down on the dirt to help settle the ground in around her. I used the shovel and carfully scratched in "Jack" but as I don't know her life span or age I left the slot blank. I didn't even know the year I was in. I placed the rock down and stepped back, this was Jacks grave.

I only knew her for a week, but her grave was a final resting place, ao I had taken my time on it. A littlw over a couple days passed. After I had finished her grave site I stayed by it, watching just like she watched the windows outside the gym. I watched with intent, I watched to make sure it was all perfect. I did not want Jack to be disturbed while at rest.

I got up and beaded over to a small rose bush, I took a single rose and planted it over Jack. I watered it until it finally took root. It took awhile but it began to grow outward as well as upward.

As time passed the streets began to refill with the hidden people, no longer in worry of the serial killer. No more screams filled the air, except that of playing children, but even that took time. Years passed and I took care of the graveyard. I kept flowers watered, and flowers places at graves changed. I cared for the headstones, and the grass surrounding the yard. This cemetery was small, but perfect for me. I kept the shovel that dug me out and buried Jack with me at all times.

Eventually life flourished in the city once again, things were replaced that were worn down or broken. Lights were fixed and cars took many different shapes. I watched the world pass me by for 10 years. And I finally found out what year it was that Jack died. 1990 was Jacks last year of breath.