Chapter One

One.

“C’mon, dad, be reasonable. How am I meant to get around fast on my bike?! I need something powerful!” I moaned, wishing my dad was a push-over. But, he wasn’t.

“You know how I feel about motorbikes.” My father Henry said. He didn’t even glance up from his newspaper. “Anyway, you’re only sixteen. You’re not even old enough. No arguments.”

Henry pulled a packet of cheese-balls from the cabinet and poured them into a bowl and started munching.

“Why don’t you go out with Beth? She’s free today isn’t she?” He continued.

          Bethany Woods had been my best friend since nursery. It was the oddest friendship ever because we were so different. I was funny and pretty but I was aggressive, hot-headed and had rubbish grades (well, that was what I‘d been told). I was tall and strong with long, dark brown hair and electric blue eyes. Beth, however, was kind, clever, beautiful, and wise with pale hair, light green eyes and a very fragile build. We’d met in nursery, when Thomas Hill was pushing Beth around. That was until I threw a paint pot at him, hitting him on the head before punching him in the gut. Beth and I were inseparable after that.

I pulled out my mobile phone and texted Beth to come over to my house. I was replied almost immediately.

“She’ll be here in about ten minutes.” I told Henry, jumping into the armchair opposite him and grabbing the remote. I watched the news channel without interest until the door-bell rang. I jumped up and answered it. Beth smiled up at me and pulled me into a small hug.

“Heya, Jade.” She said before shutting the door behind her. “We need to talk clothes for tomorrow. I’m having an emergency!”

I laughed at her and popped my head around the living-room door.

“Hi Beth! How was your holiday?” Henry called into the hallway.

“Greece was amazing! It’s so hot there and we went-” Beth started a day-to-day description of her holiday to Greece.

          Henry and I hadn’t gone anywhere on holiday this summer, for Beth, money wasn’t an option. For us Ajax’s, it was. My dad was an English teacher at our school, St Josephs. The summer was almost over, with only one week left until we would return.

          I grabbed Beth’s hand and dragged her away from Henry, up the stairs and into my bedroom.  The walls were painted a pale blue but every inch was covered in posters: Some of rock-bands, some of rappers and some of topless male models. Beth jumped on the bed in excitement.

“Guess what!” Beth squealed. I leaned against the wall and rolled my eyes.

“What?” I sighed. There was no point trying to guess at all because Beth was spontaneous, she could be thinking of anything.

“You know the end of summer party that’s always at the beach?! Well, I got us both invited!”

She waited for me to smile but instead, I frowned.

“But Mandy is the one that organizes it, isn’t she.” I said.

“Yeah, so…”

“Hasn’t she got something against me?” I asked her.

“Well yeah,” Beth giggled. “Seeing as you punched her in the nose after she called you a cow.”

I grinned before Beth continued.

“Anyway, it’s this Friday and I’ve already got a date!”

“Who?”

“Matt Edwards!”