Chapter Seventeen

Seventeen

          Friday, finally! That was my first thought on Friday morning which was quickly followed by; Oh great, what about Mark, and then; Oh crap, my date with Dad and his girlfriend is tonight. I got up, getting dressed and going downstairs, finding Luke and Beth at the kitchen table, arguing about who gets the last glass of orange juice.

“You got it last time!” Beth exclaimed.

“But you ate the last Jammy Dodger!” Luke yelled back.

I walked in-between them, plucking the carton off the table.

“None of you get it, that’s fair.” I told them and I poured it into my mouth.

“At least use a glass.” Beth moaned, passing me one. Luke’s mates knocked on the door early, them three having to go somewhere before school. I sat down at the table with a slice of toast, opposite Beth.

“So, what are you going to do with Mark today?” She asked. We hadn’t talked about Mark last night, by the time we got back; we were so tired that we just went to bed.

“Just act like everything’s normal.” I answered.

“But it’s not.”

“Well, what am I meant to do Beth?”

“I don’t know.” She admitted.

“Exactly.” I bit off a corner of toast.

“Well, try not to be thoughtless about what you say and do.”

“When I am ever thoughtless?” I asked, she snorted into her water.

“You do say stuff without thinking.” She pointed out. “And don’t think things through before you do them and-”

“Alright, you’ve made your point.” I cut her off, making her giggle.

There was a knock at the door, Beth jumped off her stool to get it.

“Jade, let’s go!” She called. I grabbed my bag off the table and followed her out of the house and into Matt’s car. I got onto the back, as usual which in my opinion wasn’t fair since I was taller than Beth and needed more leg room. Then again, I’d rather it be Beth in the front kissing Matt then me. I didn’t complain after that.

“Are you okay Jade?” Matt caught my eye in the mirror as he pulled out of the street.

“Yes, I’m fine.” I answered, looking out of the window.

“That’s woman was psycho at the café yesterday, wasn’t she?” He continued. Beth tapped his leg, motioning for him to shut up. He did.