Chapter Nineteen

Nineteen

          Beep. Beep. Beep. The hum of technology and an IV machine was the first thing I heard. I opened my eyes, finding myself in a hospital bed in a gown. Everything was too bright; it took me a minute to get my vision back. I looked around the room, finding Clinton sitting in one of the chairs, leaning forward to hold my hand and Henry in another, fast asleep. I tried to remember the explosion but the last I remembered was crying over…Mark. I pushed it to the back of my mind, forcing myself not to think about him just yet.

          “Jade.” Clinton brushed a strand of my hair off my face, speaking quietly.

I coughed into my hand, looking at him.

“What happened?” I asked, finding my voice croaky.

“Do you remember what happened with…Mark?” It looked like it pained him to say it. Thanks a lot Clinton, that’s what I’d tried to keep out of my mind and you just pushed it back in. I nodded, wanting him to move on.

“Turns out that someone had left the gas taps on in the science lab across the hall. It caused a gas leak which caused the explosion. It threw us both flying out of the window.”

I gulped, not liking the idea of how high it must’ve been.

“How did I live?” I asked.

“You didn’t think I’d let you fall, did you?” He was genuinely surprised.

I shook my head.

“I caught you in midair. You were unconscious and heavily bleeding. I brought you here. An hour later, your Father got here.”

          Right on cue, Henry’s head rolled to the other side, facing the door and he let out a huge snore.

“What do they think happened?”

          They wouldn’t know the real story, about how my vampire mother had returned from the dead, tied me up and threatened to turn me into a vampire and also held my best friend/fellow vampire hunter hostage. My boyfriend who was also an immortal vampire, had come to my rescue, saving me but my friend got turned into a vampire. My boyfriend decapitated her whilst my friend almost killed me before jumping out of a window and swinging away. Oh and when the classroom exploded and we went flying out of the room but I was saved when my vampire boyfriend caught me in midair, saving me from my death which now seemed inevitable. Yes, everyone was going to believe that. I wasn’t even sure if I did.

          “They think you and I had an argument so you tried to get away from me, somewhere that I wouldn’t think you’d go to. You went to the school, wanting some time to think away from me. You were in the building when it blew up and I was driving past, trying to find you. I pulled you out and drove you down here straight away.” He told me. I thought it through. Anyone who knew me would know that the school wasn’t the place I would go to if I was angry but it was…believable.

“Where’s Mark?” I finally asked, not being able to post-pone it anymore.

          “We found him in the woods. He’s at our house now; Richard and Caroline are with him, trying to comfort him.”

“Oh God. Mark.” I breathed.

Clinton stroked my cheek.

“He’s going to be fine; we’ll teach him how to live among humans, to act like them. It will take him a while and he won’t be able to fully control himself. Even vampires that have been living for centauries can’t fully control themselves.”

“Will he have to leave?”

“Yes.” He couldn’t bring himself to say it.

“When will you leave?” I was all out of tears.