Chapter Twelve

Twelve

          I breathed in the fresh-air of the early Monday morning. I hated Mondays but I couldn’t help but smile with relief when I found Clinton’s Jaguar in the drive-way. I got in, finding Clinton in the front and Caroline in the back, smiling at me with dimples.

“Hello Jade.” She greeted me sweetly.

“Hi Caroline, you alright?”

“Yes, I saw you at the football game last Tuesday, you were amazing.”

“Thanks.”

Clinton was watching his sister with an amused expression before turning to me, rolling his eyes and started to drive.

“Sorry about her, she’s happy for a new friend.” He whispered to me but Caroline heard and her brother on the arm.

“Be quiet, you can’t have her all to yourself, she needs some girl time as well.”

“I’m not having her all to myself; she has got friends you know.”

“Well then you won’t mind me having some friendly time with her.”

I watched the siblings bicker about me as if I wasn’t here. We pulled into Beth’s street and she got in, glad to see me and Clinton had made up, next to Caroline and watched the argument with me.

“Do it whenever you like, just as long as she isn’t with me.”

“Clint, we can’t write a schedule or something, don’t be so possessive.”

“I’m not being possessive!” Clinton growled, ending the argument. Caroline looked smug but Beth looked confused.

“So, do you two want to go shopping with me tonight? We could go to the new shopping centre outside town.” Caroline asked us both. I shared a grin with Beth, we both loved shopping but mine quickly faded.

“Can’t, don’t have any money.” I sighed but Caroline waved her hand at me.

“Don’t worry about that, I’ll get the clothes.”

“Are you sure?”

“Positive.”

“Wait. It’s a school night; I’ve got to be back by ten.” Beth told her but she just grinned.

“Trust me; we’ll be back in time. I’ll pick you both up at four.”

“Nice.” I high-fived Beth over the back of the chair. Caroline and Beth started conversation about what shops we were going to hit which I was listening to until Clinton spoke.

“Sorry about before, with Caroline.” he said with a low voice, so the others could barely hear us, well, Caroline could if she wanted but she was concentrating on Beth.

“Don’t worry about it.”

“I shouldn’t have talked about you as if you were an object.”

He pulled into the school gates and parked. The other two got out but we remained inside.

“It was wrong of me and Caroline to do so…”

I tried to tell him to stop but he wouldn’t listen. It wasn’t until I put my hand on his that he stopped. He looked down at our hands and back up at me. My heart started to beat faster, which he must have heard because the corners of his lips started to move up but he stopped them.

          I leaned forward towards him without thinking, seeing him do the same until I could feel his cold breath on my cheek. Before we could do anything else, someone hit the hood of the car, making us jump and lean away from each other, against the opposite doors. I turned to see Mark grinning at us, oblivious to what he’d just witnessed. I didn’t realize that he couldn’t see through the tinted windows so he wouldn’t know and he wouldn’t have done it on purpose because he could take a hint.