Chapter Sixteen

Sixteen

          I’d got back downstairs into new clothes when someone rang the doorbell. I looked over at Luke who was the same distance away but in the kitchen. When we were younger, we had always tried to get to the door first to test our speed. It was stupid really but we both broke into a sprint. I was sliding on the wood in my socks and hitting the door just before him. I poked my tongue out at him.

“You were wearing socks! Cheat!” He moaned.

“Sue me.” I grinned and pulled the door open.

          When Clinton had said that he’d see me in five minutes, I didn’t really think he meant it. He winked at me before coming into Luke’s view.

“Hello Jade. Luke.” He held out his hand for Luke to shake but let it drop when Luke didn’t touch it.

“Is this your boyfriend?” Luke asked, ignoring him. I shifted on my feet, not actually knowing whether Clinton and I were dating. Clinton put his arm around my waist, confirming my doubts.

“Yes, I am.” He told Luke. Luke grunted, taking in Clinton’s perfect face and model body.

“I’ll be upstairs.” He left us immediately, stomping up the staircase, slamming the door and blasting the music through the house.

“What’s his problem?” I frowned.

“Me.” Clinton answered.

Beth popped her head through the hallway, inspected what had made her brother get angry, lighting up the minute she saw us.

“Clinton. I didn’t expect to see you here.” She looked at ne quickly before back at him.

“Sorry, I just came to ask if you would like to come over to our house for dinner. Caroline would love to see you both again.” He asked. Beth and I had shined to Clinton’s sister but her smile fell.

“Sorry, I’ve got…stuff to do.” She excused.

“Are you sure?” I asked, nudging her to come.

“Yes, you’ll have fun without me.” She grinned evilly before skipping back in the kitchen.

          I turned to Clinton who looked at me with raised eyebrows.

“Do you want to come, then?”

“Sure.” I smiled, pulling my jumper over my head and sliding my feet into my high-tops. When we got into the Jaguar that had appeared out of nowhere, he turned up the heat on the air conditioner straight away.

“Glad you’ve ditched the hat.” He teased, looking at my brown hat-less waves before puling out. Unlike all the other drivers on the roads, he drove really fast, seeing as he wouldn’t kill us or anything.

“I thought it suited me.” I acted sad.

“No. much better without it.” He twisted a lock of my hair before I slapped his hand. He looked worried that he’d hurt me.

“Both hands on the wheel.” I chastised, making him chuckle with relief.

          We pulled up in the driveway and I took my breath away again at the beauty of the building with the sea background. He got out of his side and flashed at mine, opening the door for me. He took my hand, pulling my inside.

          Caroline was waiting at the bottom of the stairs, smiling and pulling me into a hug. 

“How’ve you been?” She asked seriously, regarding my vampire stalker and father problems. I shrugged, smiling and showing that I didn’t want to talk about it.