Chapter Three

Three

          “How’s your hand?” Dad asked at the kitchen table on Sunday morning. I was pushing my bacon around with my fork, not hungry.

I shrugged, still angry at him for grounding me and missing the best party ever (well, according to Facebook). My left hand was in a cast and was expected to come out in another week. School started up again tomorrow and I would be free again.

“Look, you can’t blame me for grounding you.” He told me. “You sneaked out to go to a club past midnight, fell off the pier and broke your hand! You’re lucky that I only grounded you for a week!”

I’d told everyone that I’d gone the wrong way and fallen off the pier, breaking my hand. Only Smith’s gang and I knew the real story although I’d only been able to speak to him for ten minutes when I’d laid in the hospital bed with a concussion.

“Yeah, I know. I’m sorry.” I sighed, patting my father’s hand across the table and excusing myself to my bedroom.

          I sat on the bed, deep in thought before pulling out my mobile and ringing Smith. He said he would update me at the end of the week. He picked up on the third ring.

“Jade?”

“Yeah, it’s me. Got any new news?”

He paused.

“You know the one that attacked you? We believe him.”

“What?! You can’t be serious!”

“Jade, it’s likely that if covens of vampires are going on mass-murders in one small area, it’s probable that some others will go over and try to stop them. They don’t want to be detected.”

“What happens to the two I saw then?”

“Well, if you see them, don’t attack. Until we know for sure, they might not be killing people.”

“How’s Jesse?” I asked him.

“He’s fine. A few bruises but nothing serious.”

“Okay, bye.”

“Bye Jade.”

          I hung up and put my phone on my desk. I put my head in my hands and thought about the vampire in the castle. Who was he? Was he good? I kept thinking all day until before I knew it, I was going to bed, getting ready for the first day of school.

          “Bye Dad!” I shouted to him before slamming the front door behind me. I hitched my backpack higher on my shoulder before crossing the road and walking down the main road. I turned a few corners and emerged at a meadow. In front of me stood five massive buildings. I knocked on Beth’s who opened the door and greeted me with a hug.

“How are you?” She asked me, walking past her street and down the hill.

“I’m okay.” I answered her. She raised an eyebrow but didn’t press the matter.

          “How did it go with you and Matt last night?”

Beth’s face lit up like Christmas lights.

“It was good, he gave me his number.” She tried to say nonchalantly. It didn’t work.

“Cool, have you rung-” I started when a hand landed on the top of my back. I turned to find Mark smiling down at me; he’d changed back to glasses again. I smiled back up at him.

“Heya Mark.” Beth said and we continued walking.

“Hey, Beth. So, you and Matt are an item then?” He replied in a curious way but it wasn’t jealousy. Beth blushed but remained silent because Mark gave me a look to see if I was alright. I nodded back to him.