~Forbidden~

I parked my bike by the garage door and walked up the steps to the house. "I'm home!" I said, kicking my shoes off. "You're late." Guren said, sitting on the couch.

"By what, 20 seconds?"

"Still late."

I rolled my eyes and went into the kitchen. "Where's Kimizuki?" I asked, pulling out a bowl and milk. "I don't know. Probably at a friends house or something." He said, flipping through the the channels. "You're such a great dad." I joked.

"Oh hush."

I grabbed my bowl of cereal and plopped myself next to him on the couch. "So tell me, what exactly have you been doing at the aquarium." He asked, looking over at me. I shoved a spoon full of cereal in my mouth. "You know, just learning facts about the mermaid." I said, with a mouthful.

"Or swimming with it."

I looked over at him and swallowed the cereal. "I'm not swimming with it." I said. "Then why is your hair wet." He leaned over and sniffed my head. "And smell like salt water." He asked. "Someone spilt water on me by accident. That's it." I said, shrugging my shoulders. He leaned back and sighed. "Fine, I believe you. Now go take a shower. You reek." He said, standing up. "Thank you for noticing." I yelled. "Don't mention it!" He yelled back as he entered his room. I rolled my eyes and put my cereal on the coffee table and headed upstairs to the bathroom. I turned on the shower and started undressing myself. I looked in the mirror and saw weird markings by my ribcage. "What's that?" I asked myself, as my fingers went along them. They looked almost like, gills? I shook my head and entered the steamy water. After I was finished, I turned the water off and grabbed a towel. I dried my hair off and looked back into the mirror. The marks were still there, but were more noticeable. And, there were purple swirling marks across my sides and back. My fingers went along them, every time I touched them, they seemed to disappear. When my fingers left that spot, they would reappear.

"What the hell is this?"

I dried my sides off and they disappeared. "I'm seeing things" I said to myself. "Yuichiro! Bed, now!" Guren called from downstairs. "Yes sir!" I said and looked back at the mirror. The gill like marks were still there which was really confusing. I walked into my room and got clean clothes on, then slipped into bed. I pulled my phone out and went to the pictures. I had secretly taken a picture of Mikaela when he was looking at himself through the front camera. I stood up and walked over to my desk and pulled out my notebook. Grabbing my coloured pencils, I started to colour his tail according to the photo. After that was done, I checked to see if Guren was asleep. Sure enough, he was. Putting my swim trunks on, I quietly went out the back door to the ocean. I did this a lot when I was young, where I would sneak out to go to the ocean to see if I could find anymore animals. I took my shoes off and ran into the water, diving in once I got deep enough. My eyes opened and I saw that everything was clear, and brighter. When I mean clear, I mean clear. I could see at least 50 meters in front of me. All the fish that surrounded me were completely clear. Their colours stood out along with the different coloured corals. "Whoa." I said. Then I realized, I just talked underwater. Without it gurgling or getting any water in my lungs. My voice was clear as well.

"Ok, something's happening to me."

I inhaled deeply and didn't get any water in my nose either. I'm breathing, underwater. I looked down at my rib cage and saw that the gills were actually real gills. My fingers ran over them and they seem to react like real gills. "I've got to ask Mikaela about this." I said and swam back to the surface.  

**Time Skip**

      I put my bike by the back door and snuck in again. I tuned the security system, like I always did when I snuck back in here. I ducked to make sure there weren't any guards and then ran to where Mikaela was. "Mikaela! Hey, wake up!" I whispered, knocking on the glass. I saw his head peer around the corner of the rock.