6:The Hunt

Walking into the trees after Phoenix, my stomach gave a loud rumble, making my belly slightly tremble and my ears vibrate. Phoenix seemed to hear and turned his head around and looked at me sympathetically. That made me feel kind of embarrassed so I just gave a little gummy smile.

"So, what are we looking for?" Phoenix asked.

"I was thinking some halibut from the river for the dragon mothers and their hatchlings. Then maybe a buck for for the camp?" I replied, saying what I was kind of craving right now.

"Sounds good."he said quickly, kind of hushed.

He's probably really tired, last night was hectic. I thought. My tired paws itching to warm up and get moving. Rushing past him with a competitive look in my eyes I turned around and said."I'LL RACE YOU THERE!!!!!"

"HEY NO FAIR!!!"he yelled back looking amused and running, trying to catch up with me.

In the middle of the forest later

"Look there's the river!" I said, kind of hurriedly though, so I think Phoenix heard me wrong.

"Looheresheiver?"he said looking pretty confused."What's that?"

I sighed a bit annoyed, but kind of amused."Duh, the river, we're here." Pointing my tail towards it. Turning around I saw the crystal water, wide and usually shimmering but earlier clouds had rolled in so it looked kind of dull. I stepped towards the edge and put a paw in. BRRRRRRR!!!! It was so COLD!!! But nonetheless less I took another step in, Pheonix following close behind.

I stepped forwards, beginning to wade. Once I got to the middle of the river the freezing water had numbed my legs and my claws, oh my claws! I felt like I could hardly move them.

Turning around to look at Phoenix I looked him in the eye and said "Okay, downstream or upstream?"

"Umm, downstream I guess?"he said uncertain.

"Alright, when you've caught at least four fish head back to Wool Rock."

"Alright." he replied heading downstream.

With everything sorted, I headed opposite of him. Going upstream was pretty tough, but the raging river against my numb legs felt kind of soothing. Getting close to a fishing spawn I stopped and looked around, not wanting to kill all the eggs.

By now the raging current was up to my shoulders and I was having to swim a little more. Putting my head under the water I dug my claws into the pebbled ground. Opening my eyes I saw a couple of salmon. Slowly swimming yet crawling I got closer to the fish. I edged my paw closer and when I was close enough pinned one down then picking up the dead fish I burst out of the water the cold air hitting my face.

Swimming back over to the shore I got out of the water. Suddenly the cold water didn't seem so bad. Burying my fish to try and keep other animals away. I turned around and headed back into the freezing water which I welcomed gratefully, my scales shaking gently with the strong wind that was coming by.
After catching about three fish I headed back to my little fish burial. When I got there, there was a bear. I dropped my fish and growled. He swung his massive head around to look at me. His jet black eyes looking at me staring into my soul. For a moment I felt uncertain, I shook it away. Looking at the bear again I growled threateningly, I saw the uncertainty in the bear's eyes too but he growled back nonetheless.

Seeing he was not about to give up I flew up and into the clouds. Watching him for a few seconds, he looked down, digging at the ground again. I dove, he looked up with fear in his eyes. Before he could move I lunged on him and broke his spine. Getting up I saw the bear was dead, this was sure to attract wolves and other scavengers so I finished digging up my fish, picked up the bear and flew off.

Finally I got to Wool Rock, landing on top of it I set my food down. I then rested my tired body, the air still freezing, yet more humid. I felt a small splash of water land on my ear. Looking up I knew it was raining, in fact just like that it was pouring. Grumbling to myself I closed my eyes, they back open at once.
Looking around I saw a big gush of brown water. Phoenix! I thought. Forgetting my prey I jumped off the rock and flew to the river. Flying downstream, sending out my echolocation, doing anything I could to find him. My echolocation shot back and the image of a panicked night fury filled my brain. Rushing off I saw him in the river.

I quickly flew down. "PHOENIX!!!! I NEED YOU TO GRAB ONTO MY PAW!!!!"

He looked up slightly relieved, I descended lowering my hind paw as far as it would stretch. He grabbed it and I lifted him up. I stumbled, trying to carry his weight, the sound of the mudslide was now overpowering. I was violently shaking and panicking, inside I was fighting a raging war of anxiety, trying my hardest to stay calm.

Bringing Phoenix to the edge of the river, I put him down and ran, he ran as fast as me. Fear driving him on. I then lifted in to the air and grabbed Phoenix by the back. Flying as fast as I could to Wool Rock, where we would be safe.

"Thanks"he said. Clearly still alarmed his ears flat against his head his eyes slits, just a thin line of ink.

"No problem" I gasped just as shocked as he was. I was so tired. "Come on let's go." I said still gasping for air. My heart was beating rapidly, like a humming bird's wings. Always frantic, always everywhere at once.

"I don't think that's a good idea" he said but he wasn't done, "you look terrible, you need to rest, here I'll bring you one of the fish up there."

"No." I said shaking my head, "that's not for me but go ahead and bring it down here." I sat down really weirdly, my eyes still slits, what I really needed was for Phoenix to go get thyme and poppy. Thyme for the shock and the poppy to help me sleep when I get back.

"Here, I got the bear and the fish, at least take a bite of the bear!" he pleaded, but I wasn't gonna eat it.

All I did was shake my head and pick up the bear in my mouth. It's fur was wet and slippery, it would be hard to carry it back. I took one step and my feet buckled underneath me. The bear was crushing me. I heard the beating of wings but I couldn't see who it was, so I just growled.

Suddenly, the crushing and agonizing weight of the bear was gone. I looked up and saw Firestorm, Zap, and Preen, a deadly nadder. I saw Zap pick up Phoenix while Preen took the bear and the fish. Firestorm looked at me.

"Stand up." he said gently, "I can't pick you up when you're lying down like that."

Using the last sap of my strength, I stood up. Firestorm picked me up and put me on his back and flew off back to the camp while I closed my tired eyes that were streaming of the cold.

WOO! Sorry that took so long! It actually took me around 2 and 1/2 hours to make this. Also I've been experiencing some writers block so be kind. Anyway I was thinking of trying to upload every Wednesday or every other Wednesday so BYYYYYEEEEE!!!!!!