Chapter One

"Darling, you must push." He says firmly as he takes her hand in his.
"I... I don't think I can..." She begins, breathless.
"You can do this. We'll do this together.  I'll be here the entire time. I love you and believe in you. I know you can." He tells her.
She suddenly feels stronger. She nods and she grasps onto his hand with one hand, and the top of the hospital bed in the other.
And she pushes and pushes until she hears the loud wails of her child.
It's a little girl.
"What shall we name her, honey?" He says as he peers down at his squirming daughter, proud tears in his eyes.
She holds onto the bundle, tears also forming in her eyes. She thinks of a name. It was her mother's name. Her mother died while she was young.
"Samantha." She says.
"After your mother," He says, holding his wife's trembling, damp body close to his. "Beautiful."
Suddenly the heart monitor begins to beep wildly. He looks down at his wife. Her eyes roll back into her head, her body growing limp. He jumps to his feet.
"Take Samantha! Somebody get a stabilizer, she's going into shock!" He shouts at the other nurses. One of them grabs the tiny baby, another begins to work on the dying woman.
They try to help save her, but the heart monitor flat lines.