Chapter Three

8 years later

I wake up early the next morning. The lights are still down. I sit up, rubbing my eyes. I peer at the clock on the wall. The numbers "4:34" glow in a neon blue. I sigh. I still have another hour until I need to be up. But maybe Dan is up.
I get out of bed, setting my doll beside my pillow. I tiptoe out of my room and into the main part of our living quarters. I head over to the main door. It slides open and I peer around the corner into the hall. I see the night guard is still out. I wait until he begins to walk the other way. I quickly and quietly hurry across the hall.
I type in the code to get into Dan's living quarters and enter the dark space.
I walk over to his door. It slides open. I hear his gentle snoring inside. Oh well, I'm already here. I go over and crawl in beside him. He stirs, waking up.
"Hmm?" He groans.
"Shh. It's me. Go back to sleep."
I snuggle close to his warm body. He wraps his arms around me. "What time's it?" He murmurs.
"It's after 4:30." I reply, my voice hardly above a whisper.
"What're you doing up this early?"
"I don't know."
He laughs softly and he kisses my forehead. "Of course."
Together we fall asleep, like we have so many times before. I sneak in here all the time. And he sneaks over to my living quarters just as often.
He trails his fingers along my spine as I drift off.

Look at that cutie ⬆⬆