Prologue

War... War never changes...
It has devastating effects. People die, children are orphaned, communities are destroyed and entire cities are reduced to rubble. Innocent people lose their lives. And for what? To prove a point? To prove strength and dominance?
It's always the same. And it ends in death and destruction.
When one country kicks their artillery up a notch, other countries follow suit. Don't want to be left behind, right?
And when the bombs start dropping, they flee to the vaults, to safety. Some make it, most perish. But the world is reduced to nothing. Shock waves destroy what is left after the explosion. And radiation keeps everyone under ground, hidden away in the vaults. They live their lives tucked away, simple joys stolen from their grasp. No one ever sees the sun. It's blocked out by smoke and ash anyway. Fresh air? Don't even dream of it. Those few who are sent out for supplies or research speak of horrors. Mutated animals, zombified humans, raiders, irradiated lakes of murky water... It makes you glad you're in the luxury of an underground paradise, as they call it.
Without a government people are free to do as they please, ruining the lives of whomever they wish. People are enslaved. Parents are murdered, their children left to die. And sometimes they attack vaults, which are supposed to be the safest places in the world. What do the dwellers do then? Some flee, some are killed, the rest enslaved.
War never changes. And with or without a government, people still die.
Why go to war? To defeat the enemy. But who is the enemy? It doesn't matter. The victors write the history books anyway.