Chapter Six

I am awoken with a loud bang. Dan and I both jump at the loud noise and look toward the door at the new source of light.
We see a man standing there, pointing a gun at us. We haven't got anything to defend ourselves with. If he decides to open fire we'd be dead.
Instead of killing is, like I thought he would, he lowers his gun. He stares at us for a long moment. And then he gasps.
"Shit, are you guys from that vault?"
We look at each other and then back toward the man.
"We're from vault 204. Have you heard of it?" Dan asks.
"Yes, I've heard of it. You guys were attacked by raiders yesterday!"
And then we're both climbing to our feet.
"How did you know that?" Dan asks.
"Three Dog has been talking about it all morning. Anyone in the Wasteland with a radio knows by now."
"Three Dog?" I say. Who would have a name like that?
"He's the best DJ in the Wasteland." The studies us for a long moment. "You guys look really rough. I'm sorry about what happened. Raiders are literally the worst. Well, except for deathclaws... Anyway, do you guys have food or anything?"
We both shake our heads.
"Okay, if you guys want food I know where to get some. You can also get shelter. If you had kept walking a bit you would have found us. Megaton is just down the road."
I'm unsure of whether or not to trust this stranger. But he seems nice enough. The only thing we've got to lose is each other. And if one of us goes, the other would probably go soon after.
Besides, what's the worst that could happen? I could think of a lot of things. But as my stomach grumbles I decide to take the risk.
Dan and I follow the man out of the tiny restroom.
"Do you guys have any weapons?"
"Like guns and stuff? No." I admit.
"Great! We'll get you some stuff there. Oh, and by the way, my name is Arin. When we get there you'll meet my wife, Suzy. You'll also meet some of our friends. One of them owns a little weapons shop. He'll fix you guys up with the good stuff."
I study Arin. Now that we're in the light I notice he has a blond streak running down his bangs. Other than that his hair is black. He wears leather armour and it makes me feel overexposed in just my vault suit.
We venture down a long, broken highway and eventually I see a huge makeshift wall ahead.
All of a sudden I hear a jingling and a fat little creature comes running forward. That's a mole rat. I've learned about those. But this one has a little bell around it's neck and it has a collar on. It chirps happily as it runs toward Arin. Arin kneels down and he scoops the ugly creature up.
"This is Spot. He's called spot cause he's bald and has no spots. Holly tamed him. You'll meet her. She's great with animals, but birds are her speciality."
We keep walking until we reach the massive structure. Arin sets Spot down and we pass a robot.
"You have yourself a nice visit, partner." It says, it's words blocky like a typical robot.
We go through the large doors and enter a little town. There are many buildings and people around. It's really cool!
We follow him up a ramp and up to some more buildings. He stops at the first one on the right. "This house is empty. It has been since Mrs. Pringle died. She used to live here. But no one wants to live in the same house a dead lady used to live in. Some people here are also superstitious. But if you guys wanted I could probably talk the chief into letting you guys live here while you get back on your feet. By the way, what are your names?"
"I'm Daniel. This is my girlfriend, Samantha. Though we just go by Dan and Sam." Dan says. He is showing some trust in this stranger. That makes me a little more comfortable since I trust his judgement better than mine.
We walk a little more and then Arin stops at a house. He opens the door.
From inside I can see a group of people gathered around some old Conan the Barbarian comics and playing cards.
"Hey, everyone." He says as he ushers us inside. "I have refugees from vault 204. I found them sleeping in an old restroom."