Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

(Caspian's POV)

We followed the Telmarines to the river. They were retreating, now that we had help from the trees. They knew they didn't stand a chance as they watched each of their catapults be crushed by tree roots. I know I should've been happy that we were winning, I just couldn't get her out of my mind. I was so worried, I could barely concentrate.

Peter, Edmund, Susan, and I stood by our men, ready to attack if any of the Telmarines decided to lung at us. I held my sword in my hands tightly, and I couldn't help but think of Madeline, wondering if she had hers with her right at that moment.

We looked over at the bridge and saw that there were two people at the other end. One of them was Lucy, and the other was a magnificent lion. I had no doubt that it was the High and Mighty Aslan. My heart ached as I realized that Madeline was no-where to be found. I looked over at Peter, and knew that he was thinking the same thing from the pain-filled look in his eyes.

I put my hand on his shoulder supportively, and he did the same to me. We looked at eachother, seeing the tears in our eyes. I tried to smile, to keep a straight face, to stay strong. But it was no use. At the same time, we both hugged eachother, sobbing like two babies on eachother's armored shoulders. I saw Susan hug Edmund, they both were sobbing as well.

Madeline was dead. Our Madeline, our best friend, was truly dead. The hope inside our hearts diminished as if it had never been there in the first place.

Then a loud roar erupted through the air.

We all immediately looked over at Aslan, quickly wiping away our tears and pretending as if we weren't crying. But it wasn't him, his mouth was closed and he was looking over to his right. We followed his gaze and saw exactly what he was looking at.

On a rock ledge a few yards away from him was another lion, well, a lioness to be exact. That puzzled me since I thought Aslan was the only lion around here, but then I knew. I knew who it was. The necklace around her neck told me exactly who it was.

Madeline.

"It's Madeline." I said, my heart starting to race.

"No it's not, Caspian. She's gone." Peter said hopelessly. I rolled my eyes and pointed at it.

"Do you see the necklace? That's the necklace I gave her!" I said to him happily. He squinted at her, trying to see it, but just shook his head.

"There's nothing there, Caspian. It's just the sun messing with your eyes."

"No! It's her! I promise you!"

"CASPIAN! SHE'S GONE! GET OVER IT!" Peter shouted. Tears were streaming down his cheeks again and he sat on a large rock, his head in his hands. He was breathing deeply and his shoulders were shaking. Caspian took a step back.

"Peter, please. Believe me when I say it's her. It's not the sun. I swear on my life." I said to him. He just glared at me, then we realized something. We looked over at the river, noticing that the bridge was destroyed and over half of the Telmarine army was soaked. I whistled.

"How did we miss that?" I asked Peter. He rolled his eyes at me as he, Susan, Edmund, and I began to trudge through the water in the direction of Aslan. I watched, a smile on my face, as the lioness looked over the rock and saw me. I waved, letting her know it was me.

*     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *

(Madi's POV)

I looked over the water at the people in the river. Most of them were Telmarines, others were Narnians, and then there were four that I couldn't identify. Then I saw his dark hair, his kind eyes, and his warm smile. He waved at me and I gasped.

It was Caspian. He was alright.

"Caspian!" I shouted as I turned into my human form.

In my human form I looked exactly the way I did before. My long blonde hair flowed freely behind me. I was wearing a long one-strapped blue dress with a silver chest-plate over top, a leather belt with a scabboard that contained my sword that was the twin of Caspian's, brown leather boots, and my red-ruby necklace I had gotten from Caspian.

I lept down from the edge of the rock and into the water. I felt my head plunge beneith the surface, then float back up to the top. I took a deep breath of fresh air, then began to swim with all my might in Caspian's direction. He swam towards me, a huge grin on his face. I felt like shedding tears of joy. He was here, he was alright, he was okay.

He loved me.

But where were Peter and Ed? I looked around, but didn't see them anywhere. My heart began to race. Where were they? Were they alright? I began to breathe rapidly and swam faster. Caspian would know, he'd know if they were alright.

Just a little closer and I'd know if my best friends were alright.

*     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *

(Peter's POV)

I felt my heart shatter into a million pieces. Caspian was right, it was Madi. I was happy that she was alright, I truly was.

What hurt me was the fact that she loved Caspian. It was obvious, from the way she shouted his name, the joyful look on her face as they swam towards eachother like some cheesy chick-flick. I looked away, trying to keep myself from crying again. I took a deep breath as my siblings and I reached the other side of the river.

We watched as Caspian and Madi had their joyful reunion. I felt sick to my stomach. I wanted to jump back into the river and drown. What did she see in him anyway? What could he do for her that I couldn't? We're both kings, we're both warriors, we both have great hair. Well, at least I do.

"I'm sorry, Peter." I heard Susan say beside me.

"How do you think I feel right now?" Edmund asked, his voice choking up. I knew that Madi and Edmund had been very close. They had always written letters to eachother, I couldn't even imagine just how much pain Ed must've been in compared to me.

"Don't get so bummed yet. She still has to decide if she's going to come home with us."

"You honestly think we have a chance?" Edmund asked hopelessly. Susan was quiet.

"There are always more fish in the sea." Susan said after a silence as they watched Madi and Caspian make their way over to the shore.