Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

(Lucy's POV)

We all stood up on the stage. Susan stood to the left of Madi, while I stood to her right. The whole kingdom looked as if it had gathered there before us, but I wasn't nervous. I had been in front of large crowds before, this was nothing compared to the other gatherings I had stood before. Once Aslan had started to end his speech about the Telmarines' heritage, he looked over at Madi. She looked back at him, her face covered in nervousness. I grabbed her hand to reassure her, she looked down and gave me a forced smile.

"I have given Queen Madeline the free will to decide if she would like to stay in Narnia, or return with the Pevensies to their home world....." Aslan looked down at me, a look on his face I couldn't decipher. He looked back at the crowd.

"She has made her decision." He addressed the kingdom-folk. Madi let go of my hand and stepped forward, everyone's eyes on her. I could tell that Caspian, Peter, and Edmund were even more worried than Susan and I. I knew that either way, people were going to be hurt.

* * * * * * * *

(Madeline's POV)

"What Aslan has said is true. He has given me the choice of where I want to stay for the rest of my life. And I have made my decision. Both worlds have enchanted me, inspired me, made me think about life in different ways. But sadly, I can only choose one. It pains me to say that as your Queen, I have the knowledge of knowing what's right.

"Sometimes doing the right thing hurts. Whether the pain be subjected on yourself," I looked behind me at Caspian, Peter, and Edmund, who had concerned and almost frightened looks on their faces.

"Or others around you. But what I've learned as queen, is that no matter what is at stake, you must do what's right. Whether it be a friend, a foe, a relative, a loved one.... Or even your own life. I realize that many want me to stay, to remain queen and help King Caspian rule over Narnia.

" But others also want me to go back, to return to my normal life with my friends and what I have left of a family. Considering the fact that if I do not return, suspisions will rise about my whereabouts. Citizens of the other world will think I have ran away, been kidnapped, or possibly even murdered. I know that I will have to live with that guilt for a long time if I choose to stay, knowing that I have worried many of my other-worldly friends. I have taken that fact into consideration and have let it effect my decision very much." I paused and closed my eyes, trying not to cry. The crowd was silent as they waited for me to continue. I could tell the Pevensies and Caspian were also waiting for my decision. I continued painfully.

"And that is why I have chosen to stay in Narnia and plan to rule by King Caspian's side."

Cheers erupted everywhere. The roar of happiness from the crowd was deafening, I could've sworn that inhabitants from the surrounding islands could've heard the applause. I couldn't help but let a small smile appear on my face. But then came the tears.

I knew that Iwould have to leave Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy. I knew that I would be giving up my scholarship to the UOE. I would be giving up all I knew, but then I would also be gaining everything I loved. I would get to stay in my home world, where my parents had ruled as king and queen when I was a baby.

I would be staying home.

*****************************************************

(Peter's POV)

My heart shattered. I couldn't breathe. She couldn't stay, she just couldn't. I could feel my knees go weak, but stayed standing tall. I wouldn't show that I was breaking inside. I was a king, kings never broke. Kings never cried.

"Madi, you...." Lucy was about to say 'You can't.' But we all knew it was Madi's decision. Madi looked at Lucy as the crowd continued to scream with joy. She kneeled down and hugged my little sister, who hugged her back. Susan joined in, followed by Ed.

I wouldn't hug her.

I refused to hug her.

As they broke apart, Madi looked at me, a sad and depressed look on her face. I looked away, refusing to even look at the girl before me. I felt her put her hand on my arm, trying to comfort me in my time of distress.

"I'm sorry, Peter. But it's for the best." She said to me. I pulled my arm away from her, anger boiling inside me.

"No it's not! You're being selfish!" I shouted at her, knowing that the crowd wasn't paying attention to us anymore.

"How am I being selfish? My people need me." She answered as calmly as possible.

"They have Caspian! They would be fine without you!" I shouted back at her. Her face was getting red with anger like it usually did whenever we fought, which was quite often.

"Stop. Shouting. Screaming at me isn't going to change anything." She said coolly, trying to remain calm. I couldn't believe she was doing this to me, to my family.

"I'm angry! I'm going to shout!"

"Well then I'm going to shout louder!" She screamed at me, finally losing control, tears falling down her red cheeks. Her hands were clenched into fists at her sides, her knuckles were turning white.

"Why do you want me to come with you?" She asked after a moment of silence between us. The crowd was still roaring.

"I...I love you!" I said to her.

"If you loved me you wouldn't have hurt me! You wouldn't have broken up with me! YOU WOULDN'T HAVE SENT ME TO MY DEATH! YOU WOULDN'T HAVE BETRAYED ME!" She shouted, making my ears hurt. The crowd was immediately silent. No one said a word.

"FOR MY FIRST ACT AS QUEEN, YOU ARE HERE BY BANISHED FROM TELMAR FOR TREASON AGAINST THE QUEEN! GET OUT OF MY SIGHT! I NEVER WANT TO SEE YOU AGAIN! I HATE YOU!" She shouted, causing my heart to fall to my feet.The crowd gasped in complete shock. The happy mood was quickly replace with one of confusion. Madi glared at me.

"You aren't going to get away with your actions this time, Peter Pevensie. I want you out of Narnia. Never. Return. I don't care what Aslan says, you are no longer welcome here. Get out of my kingdom." She spat quietly so that the crowd couldn't hear. Her words hurt even more since they were silent, I would've rather had her shout at me again. She turned around and marched off of the stage in the direction of the castle.

"Madeline! Wait! You can't do this!" Edmund shouted and raced after her. Susan, Lucy, and Caspian followed quickly, chasing after the girl I thought I had loved. I was about to followed her as well, when I felt a paw touch my shoulder.

"You will see her again, Peter. But not now." Aslan said.

"But I need to talk to her. I need to make things right between us. This is all my fault." I explained, but his grip only tightened.

"You will have time to sort things out when you come back for your next visit, but now you must go back." Aslan stated. I knew there was no point arguing with the giant cat, so I just stood where I was.

I felt everything around me begin to spin, then everything went completely black.